Hello from South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Durban, South Africa
Hi all :)

This is my little guy.. an indigenous Leopard tortoise. His name is "Bolt" but we just call him "Torty"..

When I first got him:

551923_10151818002246992_2048403869_n.jpg

Was only a few months ago but looking at how small he was he has grown alot..well he's still quite small..

This is him now:

20121122_182153.jpg

20121122_182352.jpg

I've housed him in a big glass fishtank vivarium and am growing indiginous plants for him to eat.. his favourite are still hibiscus flowers though:

20121122_183407.jpg

And this is his home:

20121122_172642.jpg

20121122_173040.jpg

20121122_173032.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello Balls, and welcome to the Forum!!

Have you always used that coiled bulb? We've had trouble with them in the past making baby tortoises' eyes swell shut (like snow blindness).

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I like your set up. Looks great. Although I'm concerned about the coil bulb you are using. It causes eye problems

Balls

5 Year Member
Durban, South Africa
mainey34 said:
I like your set up. Looks great. Although I'm concerned about the coil bulb you are using. It causes eye problems

Thanks guys

Ok about the coil UVB bulb... I'm reading alot about it being super bad and alot about it being perfectly fine to use..? It is very bright, but he's not really had any issues with his eyes.. but since it is so bright and I have read about it being bad I've tried to give as much real sunlight as possible.... He cant really look up directly into it or anything..

I only got that because the pet shop guy recommened to be honest I was a huge noob when I got him.. .. is the neon one any good at all or I should fork out for the MVB one..? Its really expensive..Most pet shops here only sell the neon ones and the coil type

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
You live in South Africa...get that little guy outside in the sun! Build him an enclosure outdoors! It's a crime to keep an indigenous animal out of its element!

...and Welcome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I spent a few months in the RSA working a few years ago. We were literally everywhere from George to Hout Bay and about two dozen places in between. What part are you in?

Love your baby. I've got nine just like him. :) I think your set up is great too. Nicely done.

Balls

5 Year Member
Durban, South Africa
DeanS said:
You live in South Africa...get that little guy outside in the sun! Build him an enclosure outdoors! It's a crime to keep an indigenous animal out of its element!

...and Welcome!

That would be great.. if there was sun!! We are in a sub tropical part and it rains constantly.. There is sun for abit but generally if its not raining its cloudy.. Next month it will be hot and sunny every day.. extremely hot.. for now I cant keep him outside as he is not active and spends most of the day sleeping.. at least inside I can give him warmth and keep him dry so he's active and eats, outside he wasnt eating much.

See what I mean about the rain..

Capture-5.jpg

Balls

5 Year Member
Durban, South Africa
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. I spent a few months in the RSA working a few years ago. We were literally everywhere from George to Hout Bay and about two dozen places in between. What part are you in?

Love your baby. I've got nine just like him. :) I think your set up is great too. Nicely done.

Thanks!! The Cape is a great part of the country..I live in Durban on the other side.

Nine of them? It seems like its easier to get Leopard tortoises in the States than it is to get them here.. I'm looking for more babies and its almost impossible to find them! Probably because you need a permit to keep them.. shhhhhh

I'll be over in the USA over December.. maybe I should bring some tortoises home

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Balls,

I've been to RSA, all western Cape, but a bit out of the cape into Fraserburg. Not been that far east to visit Durban.

I am curious about the 'permit' deal you live under. Here In California USA, pretty much anyone can have a desert tortoise, you do have to get a permit, but that for the most part is an administration matter for some purpose close to keeping a lid on their commercialization.. There is no competency challenge, no test, habitat requirements etc. Just fill out a form and send it in. Many interest levels, from casual hobby to much more focused individuals all have to do it, and the means are pretty simple, many turtle clubs/societies will have the form, and-or help you sort out the process.

What is the situation there, when did it start ?

I imagine you can guess that with so many native species in your part of the world, you are going to have some popularity here on this forum.

Will

Balls

5 Year Member
Durban, South Africa
Will said:
What is the situation there, when did it start ?

I imagine you can guess that with so many native species in your part of the world, you are going to have some popularity here on this forum.

It varies per province but you have to get a certificate of "adequate enclosure" which includes the boundaries and sizes, vegetation and if it is adequetely enclosed (of course). There are still fines per animal if you are found to be in possession without a permit or moving them without a transport permit. (R12000).. I've heard that pet shops are regularly inspected. But you can keep any exotic pet without a permit.

Basically since without a permit and fines anyone could pick one up from the bush and take it home.. Thats probably why keeping tortoises as pets is not big in South Africa.

I dont have a permit ..

Balls

5 Year Member
Durban, South Africa
Just read they have put a hold on issueing new permits like 2 years ago even for captive bred tortoises..

You can buy a Indian Star tortoise baby in the pet shop for R2500 which is ~282 dollars US..

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
In a few places here and there is RSA, I spoke with people who had whole backyards with a concrete brick wall, and "natural" tortoises that found their way in. At least one Fraserburg resident had many tent tortoises this way, and found hatchlings in their yard often. The said they were all local, and they did not like seeing them dead on the road. It was likened to a bird feeder in the backyard, to see native wildlife, sorta all the time.

I'd think leopards would be easy to get a permit for, they seemed so abundant throughout all the areas I traveled to. Maybe it's all about a progression from "whatever", to "none-ever".

Thanks for the interesting response. I hope you to not get in any heat for having a pet. Many native north American species are kept without permits, aquatic, terrestrial, in the states where they are native as well as other states. The laws tend to be about commercialization.

Will

Balls

5 Year Member
Durban, South Africa
Im not particulary phased about the lack of permit and a fine.. as you mentioned its more about the commercialization like pet shops selling them. No ones going to come into your home and fine you for having a tortoise. The pet shops however often get inspected and fines are stiff.

Only thing is I'd like another baby one at least.. and find another legally is impossible now. I don't think there's much knowledge on keeping tortoises as pets, I think most people say feed them lettuce.

Fraserburg.. geez thats far away in the middle of nowhere haha

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum. We are excited you have you a member. Please keep us posted with pictures of your cute little Tort.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.