Hello from Rochester, NY

mbowers

Hi, I'm fairly new to this forum but have been reading along for the last month or so. My husband and I had a fabulous Diamond Back Terrapin for about 13 years who passed away in August. Learning they are illegal in NY (oops) I started considering a tortoise as our next shelled companion. We had Leopard tortoises a very long time ago but decided for a much smaller variety this time around.

I purchased an Ibera Greek hatchling a few months ago named Tougis and I recently took in a Russian from a friend. He came with the name Gorby (not orignal by any means but still cute nontheless so I haven't changed it).

I saw and fell in love with a pancake tortoise recently and hope to also purchase one as soon as I have everything set up.

I am learning a lot from the forum and look forward to communicating with everyone. I'll add pictures soon.

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Welcome also don't forget to post pics of your torts we love pics on this forum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

You're keeping each species separate from each other, right?

mbowers

Welcome to the Forum!

You're keeping each species separate from each other, right?

I am keeping them seperate. The Greek is upstairs in his/her own enclosure and seperate room. He/she is only 4 months old.

The Russian is downstairs and I am estimating he is about 10 years old (I'm guessing). I am his third home. I also handle the baby before I handle the Russian. Washing hands in between. If I am fortunate enough to get a pancake, I'm looking at a 2 year old female and she'll be in her own enclosure separate from the others.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Read the care sheets and threads, and ask any question. You'll hopefully get the help you need.Good luck.

DForces

I'm new to this. I live in Rochester NY. Planing to get a baby Hermann tortoise. I was recently search online to find out pet store around me that sale tortoise. And there's very few as I know of. So I plan to buy one online. But many of those website are out of stock. So I just wondering do where can I get one online or local store.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There are some good recommended breeders on this site who could help you I'm sure, and you would know they have all been started correctly so would be more likely to thrive. Some pet stores do not start them properly as they are only interested in profit so maybe search here or start a new thread making enquiries. Good luck in your search