Outside housing in Rochester, NY?

Tjbemis

5 Year Member
Hi there! Is there anyone around here from Western NY who owns/breeds torts and keeps them outside?
We have a Dalmatian tort right now, but would like to get her a mate, as well as another pair (housed separately as appropriate). But we'd very much like them to be outside.
I know a guy in Albany, NY who has his outside year round, but Albany is just *this much* warmer than Rochester. Obviously spring, summer and part of fall is fine... But is it safe to let them hibernate outside here..?
Thanks... And sorry that got rambly!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'm an hour and a half away from you.

Tortoises do not do well in pairs. They don't pair bond; the male bullies and pesters the female beyond stress, potentially into illness or death. The only workable grouping is a single male and three or more females, and even that isn't guaranteed. Females can bully each other, too. So forget having couples. You'd need a group, and you'd need to be ready to separate them if it doesn't work. They'd need to start off quarantined, too.

One issue with living outdoors 24/7 all year is the cold damp. It might be possible with a heated greenhouse they can access at will, where they can dig down to hibernate. Without that or something like it, I wouldn't recommend it in Rochester. They can't take cold wet. Mine end up under a plastic hoop house or taken in and out in summer when it's rainy and cold.