Hello! From: Raquel's Mom/Agent/Head Pooper Scooper

Kristin NIcole

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota, USA
Thanks to AnimalLady, who suggested I join!

I live in Minnesota with my ever-patient husband, handsome pit bull Bronson, betta Samson, and the little RT I adopted this summer, Raquel the Hardshell.

Raquel is 6, and I adopted her from a family who could no longer care for her due to a change in their home. I have spent the last few months upgrading her indoor enclosure and correcting issues with lighting, substrate, diet, etc.

Raquel is a little daredevil and I am convinced that she is a human in a reptile costume. Such spunk! For example, It took her all of five minutes to become friends with my dog (I am always present when they are together). As I said, he is a huge pit bull and a bit intimidated by her. In the summer, when she is out in the yard exercising, he will check on her every few minutes to make sure she is okay. To repay the kindness, she waits until he lays down for a nap, then pokes his paws with her toes. He can't run off fast enough and if I really try, I think I can hear her giggle.

Looking forward to being a member!
R2.jpg

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. Raquel sounds like she is a little character. She sure is a cutie. I love Russian tortoises.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome, welcome, welcome to u and your new tort. There are so many horror stories on this forum about "friendly dog" vs cute tort, unfortunately friendly dog suddenly ruins the plot when they start chewing on your turtle. Be safe, don't encourage playtime. Welcome to the Forum :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kristin, and welcome to the Forum!

Poor, abused doggy. My dogs always had to endure 'dress up' days when my kids still lived at home. The looks on their faces told the whole story. Abused and put upon, but very patient and understanding

Kristin NIcole

Minnesota, USA
Welcome, welcome, welcome to u and your new tort. There are so many horror stories on this forum about "friendly dog" vs cute tort, unfortunately friendly dog suddenly ruins the plot when they start chewing on your turtle. Be safe, don't encourage playtime. Welcome to the Forum :)
Hello! In describing me, I should have mentioned I am a natural worrywart. I would never leave my tort and dog unattended while together and at the most, I am a foot or two away. I have over 25 years of working in animal rescue (dogs, mainly) and I feel it's necessary for my dog to understand what Raquel is (not a toy) and what his boundaries are (cannot get close enough to even sniff). Thanks for the welcome!

Kristin NIcole

Minnesota, USA
Hi Kristin, and welcome to the Forum!

Poor, abused doggy. My dogs always had to endure 'dress up' days when my kids still lived at home. The looks on their faces told the whole story. Abused and put upon, but very patient and understanding

Hello! This actually isn't my dog. I used the pic because it always makes me smile. I do, however, dress up my dog - we have an entire wardrobe for my pit because he hates to be cold. At bedtime in the winter, we tell him, "Come get your jammas on" and he runs over and stands still while we put these on. (Then he climbs on his mountain of pillows and dog bed and we cover him with a quilt. If our house was ever burglarized in the winter, we would be so screwed because Bronson would never want to get up.

today.jpg

AnimalLady

Hey buddy! You made it! YAYAYAYA! *happy dance*

Welcome! Read and enjoy!

And you gotta get over to the "Everything else" part of the forum and show me that awesome dog you have! gorgeous pit! :D