Hello from Taara & Her Torty Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taara

5 Year Member
Greetings from Hong Kong!

This is our first post to introduce ourselves.

Taara, our little princess Indian Star. A friend's neighbour was looking to find a home for her and we adopted her for a couple of months ago. We really enjoy her gentle and mild temparment.

She lives happily on our balcony (5' x 18') and is free to roam around this safe area. She tends to be most active in the morning and in the afternoon. She loves to hide underneath plants and is quite inactive for the most part.

She seems to recognise us and is comfortable when we pick her up. She'd pull her head in instintively but would soon stick her head out to check us out when we pick her up. On occassions, she'd even walk towards us and wait to be fed. She is an absolute darling.

She likes freshly-picked mulberry leaves, clover leaves, choi sum leaves, young stems and flowers (a local leafy green), sweet potato leaves, peas and carrots. I've read somewhere that carrots are good once a week. We are still experiementing with other high fibre vege. She doesn't seem to drink from the water dish at all.

We take her out for walks and soak up some sun when the weather is nice. We have to be very careful where to take her as the park management folks here tend to spray pesticide on grass. :-(

As we are approaching winter, I have been researching on how and where to get supplies to build her an indoor habitat. We want it as natural and organic as possible and sufficient space to move around.

I found posting from Levendis really helpful. I hope we will be able to link up via this forum so that I can find out where to get the really nice looking set up which Levendis has created for the lovely sulcata. The barmuda grass and other home grown vegetables are fantastic.

Hope to hear from fellow members to the Forum on tort care, diet and behaviour.

Cheers,

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
:D Welcome to the forum! That was a really lovely first post! So this is your first tortoise ever?

Taara

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for the warm welcome from

Pdrobber
Delano73
Coreyc
Jacqui - yes. Although when I was a child we had Brazillian and Chinese torts. That was many, many years ago!
Aldabraman

I tried to include a photo in the profile earlier and attach another one of Taara in this reply but didn't work. Will have another go.

Taara

5 Year Member
Thanks, Tom, Anthony C and Torty Mum, for the warm welcome!

Levendis

5 Year Member
RE: Hello from Taara & Her Torty Mom

Hello again Taara
Hope you received my other message. I'm also a newbie and my sulcata and my partner's leopards are less than six months old. I'm still kind of paranoid when it comes to using wild veggies for my tortoises here in hong kong - but a few tried and tested approaches for a varied diet available locally -
Bermuda grass - buy the Taiwanese varietal's seeds and organic planting materials available at the Flower Market in Kowloon - extremely high growth rates if you give it full sun. A small planter should give you enuf to sustain an adult Star.
Dandelions - I just started growing these - dandelions generally don't thrive in hong kong I guess because of our temperatures but wild ones without pesticides can be found off the main path near the top of Tai Mo Shan
Mulberry, plantain and other wild herbs - available at the local veggie market near Langham place in Mongkok. There is a street stall that specializes in wild herbs meant for Chinese soups. Near the corner of Canton Road and Shandong street. Similar shops are not available as far as I know on HK Island. (I'm curious as to where you get fresh picked mulberry leaves from - I'm told that they ought to be easy to find but no luck for me so far)
Hibiscus/rose of Sharon flowers and leaves - commonly used in condo complexes - increasingly building management companies are using less and less pesticides due to concern from pet owners - ask the gardener to see if they are organic. The local plant is usually just referred to as just the "the Bid Red Flower".
Mint and Basil - not really meant for torts as main diet items, but they are ok for them, easy to grow in HK, and great for pasta as well :)
Hope this helps.
L

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi "Taara:"

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

Taara

5 Year Member
RE: Hello from Taara & Her Torty Mom

Hi Levendis,

You are doing well for a newbie.
I, too, am not giving mine any wild veggie. I just confirmed it with the LCSD that they spray pesticide on the grass in a small park up the road from us.

We are fortunate to have a mulberry tree. Our security guard told me that he has seen small mulberry plants on sale at the Flower Market in the summer.

I tried giving her hibiscus but she didn't care for it. She loves the yellow flowers of choi sum. I've been told the flowers have residue pesticides which cannot be washed off! What a bummer.

Thanks VM.

Levendis said:
Hello again Taara
Hope you received my other message. I'm also a newbie and my sulcata and my partner's leopards are less than six months old. I'm still kind of paranoid when it comes to using wild veggies for my tortoises here in hong kong - but a few tried and tested approaches for a varied diet available locally -
Bermuda grass - buy the Taiwanese varietal's seeds and organic planting materials available at the Flower Market in Kowloon - extremely high growth rates if you give it full sun. A small planter should give you enuf to sustain an adult Star.
Dandelions - I just started growing these - dandelions generally don't thrive in hong kong I guess because of our temperatures but wild ones without pesticides can be found off the main path near the top of Tai Mo Shan
Mulberry, plantain and other wild herbs - available at the local veggie market near Langham place in Mongkok. There is a street stall that specializes in wild herbs meant for Chinese soups. Near the corner of Canton Road and Shandong street. Similar shops are not available as far as I know on HK Island. (I'm curious as to where you get fresh picked mulberry leaves from - I'm told that they ought to be easy to find but no luck for me so far)
Hibiscus/rose of Sharon flowers and leaves - commonly used in condo complexes - increasingly building management companies are using less and less pesticides due to concern from pet owners - ask the gardener to see if they are organic. The local plant is usually just referred to as just the "the Bid Red Flower".
Mint and Basil - not really meant for torts as main diet items, but they are ok for them, easy to grow in HK, and great for pasta as well :)
Hope this helps.
L

Taara

5 Year Member
Thanks for your posts and warm welcome, emyeemys, laramie,Yash Raj.

Status
Not open for further replies.