Newbie looking for advice on conflicting information

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Sorry, also would I go for the

Arcadia LumenIZE Pro T5 UVB Kit, D3+ Desert, 12% UVB 54 watt (this is as high as I can find)?

I would suggest this one instead:
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-desert-12#prot5-kit-12-24w

This should be cheaper and more suitable.
1. LumenIZE are fancy dimmable lights from Arcadia with buggy (yet) smartphone app and higher price.
2. You need UVB at the basking zone, not in the whole enclosure, so a shorter lamp will be sufficient. 24W lamps are 22" long.

London, UK
I would suggest this one instead:
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-desert-12#prot5-kit-12-24w

This should be cheaper and more suitable.
1. LumenIZE are fancy dimmable lights from Arcadia with buggy (yet) smartphone app and higher price.
2. You need UVB at the basking zone, not in the whole enclosure, so a shorter lamp will be sufficient. 24W lamps are 22" long.
Thanks Alex. I think the Arcadia Solar Basking Lamp would be best suited for me. I am pulling some bits together to purchase, if I add the links to each product can you just advise me that I'm on the right page with this please?

Basking light: https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-solar-basking-floodlight

CHE bulb:

CHE lamp:

Thermostat:

Thanks

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks Alex. I think the Arcadia Solar Basking Lamp would be best suited for me. I am pulling some bits together to purchase, if I add the links to each product can you just advise me that I'm on the right page with this please?

Basking light: https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-solar-basking-floodlight

CHE bulb:

CHE lamp:

Thermostat:

Thanks
1. Basking bulb - fine. You may get 60W and 75W (to choose which works better and to have a spare one).

2. Lamp domes. Larger diameters are out of stock. You need two - for the CHE and basking lamp. This 22cm looks fine:
3. CHE - 100W should be fine. I don't know about reliability (good ones work many years), but let's give it a try.
4. Thermostat: I would get a simple on/off one like this - https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-systems-500w-thermostat .

5. You can get timer sockets from any hardware store or IKEA. If you want more features - look for the "smart sockets" like TPLink Tapo or Govee with power measurements, smartphone control and such (and smart temperature/humidity sensors too).

London, UK
1. Basking bulb - fine. You may get 60W and 75W (to choose which works better and to have a spare one).

2. Lamp domes. Larger diameters are out of stock. You need two - for the CHE and basking lamp. This 22cm looks fine:
3. CHE - 100W should be fine. I don't know about reliability (good ones work many years), but let's give it a try.
4. Thermostat: I would get a simple on/off one like this - https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-systems-500w-thermostat .

5. You can get timer sockets from any hardware store or IKEA. If you want more features - look for the "smart sockets" like TPLink Tapo or Govee with power measurements, smartphone control and such (and smart temperature/humidity sensors too).
That's really helpful, thank you so much

London, UK
That's really helpful, thank you so much

Sorry, me again!

Just a quick question, if I purchase the UVB kit, is there an option to have this on the side of the open table for my tortoise?

I have attached a photo of my current setup, I was thinking of putting the UVA (orange arrow), CHE (blue arrow) here and wondered if I'd be able to add the UVB light along the sides of the setup or if there's an alternate bulb I can get?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240508_165827.jpg
    20240508_165827.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sorry, me again!

Just a quick question, if I purchase the UVB kit, is there an option to have this on the side of the open table for my tortoise?

I have attached a photo of my current setup, I was thinking of putting the UVA (orange arrow), CHE (blue arrow) here and wondered if I'd be able to add the UVB light along the sides of the setup or if there's an alternate bulb I can get?

Thanks
Typically, you want to provide UVB over the basking area (heat + UVB are both required to synthesize D3). Probably, getting a stand like you have for the basking bulb and attaching the UVB tube there is the most flexible way because you will need to adjust UVB lamp height (18-20 inches over substrate).

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
There's a lot to learn and it's hard to filter out the old outdated care information when it's still being passed around by breeders, pet shops and social media etc., but if you follow the up to date advice on this forum and the links you've been given your tort should thrive.
Pets at Home sells orchid bark but I think babies need the finer chunks - see what the caresheet says.
If you haven't already found it www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants for food and enclosures.

London, UK
Hi and welcome.
There's a lot to learn and it's hard to filter out the old outdated care information when it's still being passed around by breeders, pet shops and social media etc., but if you follow the up to date advice on this forum and the links you've been given your tort should thrive.
Pets at Home sells orchid bark but I think babies need the finer chunks - see what the caresheet says.
If you haven't already found it www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants for food and enclosures.
Thank you! I have some fine bark arriving today with some coco coir to mix in with 😊

London, UK
Hi and welcome.
Typically, you want to provide UVB over the basking area (heat + UVB are both required to synthesize D3). Probably, getting a stand like you have for the basking bulb and attaching the UVB tube there is the most flexible way because you will need to adjust UVB lamp height (18-20 inches over substrate).
Hi Alex, is my young tortoise safe in my garden? I have a concrete bed and have put a chicken run (top cover not shown in photo) on it to prevent any predators getting to Shelly. Seeing as the sun is gradually coming out in the UK just want to make sure my little guy is safe as can be. Ive leaned blocks against the outside so it will prevent him getting out and falling. Thanks

Attachments

• 20240509_091640.jpg
    20240509_091640.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi Alex, is my young tortoise safe in my garden? I have a concrete bed and have put a chicken run (top cover not shown in photo) on it to prevent any predators getting to Shelly. Seeing as the sun is gradually coming out in the UK just want to make sure my little guy is safe as can be. Ive leaned blocks against the outside so it will prevent him getting out and falling. Thanks
That's a good idea to let him outside and having a mesh cover is great too. I have little experience with building predator-proof pens (and escape-proof :) ). I think @SinLA and @Tom will give you better advice.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
You probably do not need to worry about daytime predators if it were an adult. I am not sure if babies are supposed to be outside much @Tom can better answer. But you don't need "much" in the way of a cover, you could just frame that out and put chicken wire to keep the birds out. Chicken wire would not keep out a coyote or racoon (do you have them in England?) or maybe a determined fox, but if it is not out at night I don't think you need to worry.

But I don't know about babies, sorry!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need and outdoor cage with a visual barrier around the bottom. For a baby hermanni, this would only need to be about 6 inches tall. Babies should only be outside for about one hour per inch of tortoise as a general rule. Babies fare better when kept mostly indoors in stable warm conditions. Having them outside too much stunts their growth and causes pyramiding.

The enclosure is in the shade in the pic. No point in being outside if there is no sun.

Are all those plants tortoise safe?

London, UK
You need and outdoor cage with a visual barrier around the bottom. For a baby hermanni, this would only need to be about 6 inches tall. Babies should only be outside for about one hour per inch of tortoise as a general rule. Babies fare better when kept mostly indoors in stable warm conditions. Having them outside too much stunts their growth and causes pyramiding.

The enclosure is in the shade in the pic. No point in being outside if there is no sun.

Are all those plants tortoise safe?
Hi, Thank you for your response. I took the photo in the morning but that spot tends to get a good few hours of sun through the day. The plants are safe, I have checked them.
Thank you

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Make sure he has water available in there when he is out . Shallow terracotta plant saucers are ideal and if you sink it in the soil. it makes it easier for babies to enter and exit without the risk of tipping back and drowning or overheating under the sun. You could put some small clean pebbles in the water.
What sort of soil ae you using? You have to be careful with bags of compost because you don't know what's in it. If it's just old garden soil that you know is chemical free and tort safe you should be fine.

London, UK
Make sure he has water available in there when he is out. Terracotta plant saucers are ideal if you sink it in the soil.
What sort of soil ae you using? You have to be careful with bags of compost because you don't know what's in it. If it's just old garden soil that you know is chemical free
Afternoon! I have a little bowl buried in the soil, he seems pretty happy and has plants that can provide shade. The soil is just old compost which is chemical free and I had mixed some coco coir in with it. My garden is a bit of a sun trap so hopefully will provide the tort with some healthy sun rays 😊