hello from philippines!

ralph dacanay

Hello and I'm new to this thread I'm just wondering if I could just keep my tortoise in room temp without any heat bulb or something

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Ralph welcome to the TFO from AZ ,USA . Why don't you show us a pict of your tort and its enclosure ? The pict is worth 1000 words .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Tortoises need to heat up to at least 85+ to properly digest their food. If you have hot sunny days all the time then you could get away without a light. However, seeing every place has it's gloomy days, I would get a basking light for those days and the rest of the days they could use the sun.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Tortoises need to heat up to at least 85+ to properly digest their food. If you have hot sunny days all the time then you could get away without a light. However, seeing every place has it's gloomy days, I would get a basking light for those days and the rest of the days they could use the sun.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ralph, and welcome to the Forum!

Because a tortoise is a cold blooded animal, this means they don't have a natural heat inside them like we do. Our body temperature is 98.6. We have that naturally. A tortoise doesn't have the ability to have a warm inner core temperature. So if you keep him in a room that's, say, 75F degrees, then the tortoise's inner core will be 75F degrees. It takes at LEAST 80F degrees for him to be able to digest his food. So, to answer your question, yes. A tortoise must have a heat source where he can sit and warm up his inner core...a light or a ceramic heat emitter.

ralph dacanay

OK thanks guys for your answers my parents finally made a choice they didn't want me to get one because its so expensive and my parent cant afford it but thanks guys

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just keep your interest alive and know that one day, you'll have your own money and place and can make a perfect home for a wonderful little tortoise.
Using this forum for help and advice of course!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! ! !