Red Footed Tortoise Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

gappa

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this site and new to taking care of tortoises too. i just purchased a red footed tortoise hatchling and i have a few questions about which substrate to use.

I'm from the Philippines and most of the websites i've been too suggest using cypress mulch as a substrate mixed with sphagnum moss. Ive been able to locate sphagnum moss but i can't find any cypress mulch over here. there is though an abundance of coco fiber and coco peat over here. Would any of you know if those are any good for a red footed tortoise?

Also, to all the tortoise hobbyists living in the philippines in this forum, if there are any :p where do you get your tortoise supplies? :)

THANKS!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, gappa!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...you can use the coco fiber on the bottom to hold moisture. Then I would use the cypress on top to prevent any fungus. Still spray the cypress. You should be able to achieve your humidity levels. But not creat too much moisture to where your tort will get shell rot or any type of shell fungus...

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have used just sphagnum moss by itself for years especially for the little torts. You want it deep enough so the bottom layer is moist and top layer is somewhat dry as already stated. I have also mixed sphagnum moss with sand and other substrates. Alot of members dont like sand because the tort could become impacted. In the winter I like to mix a little sand in under the basking area so it helps keep things warmer but you need to be careful with this because sand alone can get pretty hot under the basking light

gappa

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Hello and welcome...you can use the coco fiber on the bottom to hold moisture. Then I would use the cypress on top to prevent any fungus. Still spray the cypress. You should be able to achieve your humidity levels. But not creat too much moisture to where your tort will get shell rot or any type of shell fungus...
I wish i could use cypress mulch but sadly, it isn't available in the Philippines :(

gappa

5 Year Member
bigred said:
I have used just sphagnum moss by itself for years especially for the little torts. You want it deep enough so the bottom layer is moist and top layer is somewhat dry as already stated. I have also mixed sphagnum moss with sand and other substrates. Alot of members dont like sand because the tort could become impacted. In the winter I like to mix a little sand in under the basking area so it helps keep things warmer but you need to be careful with this because sand alone can get pretty hot under the basking light
do you think sphagnum moss mixed with coco fiber or coco peat is okay? why is it that in most websites and care sheets I've viewed, "coco" anything is never suggested? i think coco products would do well for a red footed tort because it holds moisture well. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm still a beginner :)

gappa

5 Year Member
bigred said:
weird i replied to your post a few mins ago but can't seem to find it on the thread... anyway! ill ask again :)

would it be alright if i mixed in sphagnum moss and coco peat/coco fiber? i noticed in a lot of care sheets and websites about red footed torts that coco products are never suggested. why is that? from what i know, coco products keep moisture pretty well and it seems like a easy thing to settle into. besides that, over here in the philippines, its very cheap hahaha! PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong I'm just a beginner.

oh and about winter, in the philippines our weather is pretty constant all year round. we're tropical and only have two seasons. sunny and rainy. but even when its rainy season its humid and warm. humidity over here ranges in the 70's and temps range from the low 30s to high 20s (degrees C) during the day. is it really necessary for me to buy a heat lamp then? i bought one anyway but now im starting to think that it was a waste of money! haha

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
gappa said:
mainey34 said:
I wish i could use cypress mulch but sadly, it isn't available in the Philippines :(
Can you go on Amazon or other sites and order?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I agree with Bigred, spaghum alone is perfectly fine. Its the best substrate for burrowing hatchlings :).

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
gappa said:
bigred said:
do you think sphagnum moss mixed with coco fiber or coco peat is okay? why is it that in most websites and care sheets I've viewed, "coco" anything is never suggested? i think coco products would do well for a red footed tort because it holds moisture well. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm still a beginner :)

You can do that, thats fine to. If you want to make it easier just use sphagnum moss by itself

abclements

5 Year Member
gappa said:

I think sphagnum mixed with coco would be great! I just use straight coco coir and for the last 4 months (how long I've had mine) I've never had any problems. I just have a coco base and some piles of sphagnum around the enclosure.

gappa

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
I agree with Bigred, spaghum alone is perfectly fine. Its the best substrate for burrowing hatchlings :).

thanks for the reply! will probably stick to sphagnum because its available here haha

gappa

5 Year Member
abclements said:
gappa said:

I think sphagnum mixed with coco would be great! I just use straight coco coir and for the last 4 months (how long I've had mine) I've never had any problems. I just have a coco base and some piles of sphagnum around the enclosure.

alright! thanks for the reply. i think i remember reading somewhere that coco coir is not a good substrate cause its too dusty and may irritate the tort though. but i guess it really depends on our torts, huh? :) will consider your suggestion though!

gappa

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
gappa said:
mainey34 said:
Can you go on Amazon or other sites and order?
i have no budget for that :(

gappa

5 Year Member
bigred said:
gappa said:
bigred said:

You can do that, thats fine to. If you want to make it easier just use sphagnum moss by itself

thanks bigred!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Overall, I have had a LOT better luck with either a chunky bark substrate (cypress mulch) or a bioactive soil-based substrate than I have with either sphagnum or coconut.

Check out the local garden centers- they almost certainly have some sort of slow-rotting hardwood chunks or bark materials that are cheap and would work fine. Avoid any that smell like chemicals or pine, or that have dyes or rubber in them.

Or, you could try the bioactive substrate- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/Indoor-Housing/substrates-1

Status
Not open for further replies.