Hello from Oakland, CA!

Alcina

Hello, everyone! I have never owned a reptile in my entire life, but I've always really liked tortoises. However, I have some concerns about owning one...maybe you can help me!

I was planning on getting a Mediterranean tortoise (a Russian or Hermann), because someone told me that California had similar weather. This has turned out to be completely false, because I live in Oakland where it gets pretty cold. I initially planned on putting the enclosure outside, but I'm not sure it could survive. I've been tracking weather and humidity for this year and part of last year, and the weather here doesn't seem suited for a tort. For reference, throughout summer, the temperature has been anywhere from 55-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Humidity has been fluctuating between 70-90%. During the winter, the temperature ranges from 45-55, and the humidity is usually 50-60%.

Could any (small) tortoise survive outside in this weather? Or will I have an indoor only pet?

Any input regarding this issue would be great. Thanks!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Are those the lows? I am in Spokane Valley WA, and keep Russians. They do really well outside in summer. I provide a heated night box, and they hibernate in winter.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum by the way. Good job researching before buying a tortoise.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
These tortoises can be hibernated in winter and so the temperatures you've mentioned are fine.
Or an indoor enclosure can be provided for cold periods.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
or http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
for lots of useful information including temps.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
Welcome! i am very fond of russians, however i live in vermont and they can only be outside during the summer and my outdoor enclosure will have to include a heated box (or they will have to come inside in the summer) and of course are indoor pets in the winter. i think if you monitor the lows and keep them inside or in a heated box at night they should do pretty well. i would deff check out the threads tidgys dad posted they probably have alot of answers to your questions

Last edited:

Alcina

Are those the lows? I am in Spokane Valley WA, and keep Russians. They do really well outside in summer. I provide a heated night box, and they hibernate in winter.
In the summer so far, it's been 55-70 degrees Fahrenheit. I read somewhere that a comfortable temperature for a tortoise would be like 75-90. So even at the hottest time of year for my area, it would be too cold. D:

What's your setup for a heated nightbox? I read somewhere on the forum that they're dangerous and can kill your tort. But I think they had a baby and I plan on getting an adult.

P.S. Does anyone know reputable breeder for Hermanns? I really like the western ones, but the eastern ones are just as cute, so I'm good with either.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My boxes are modeled after Tom's night boxes. You can search night boxes and find great how to threads.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
In the summer so far, it's been 55-70 degrees Fahrenheit. I read somewhere that a comfortable temperature for a tortoise would be like 75-90. So even at the hottest time of year for my area, it would be too cold. D:

What's your setup for a heated nightbox? I read somewhere on the forum that they're dangerous and can kill your tort. But I think they had a baby and I plan on getting an adult.

P.S. Does anyone know reputable breeder for Hermanns? I really like the western ones, but the eastern ones are just as cute, so I'm good with either.
I am getting an Eastern Hermann's from Garden State Tortoise (aka Hermanni Haven) this October. The breeder is Chris Leone and he is extremely reputable and I believe, rather famous in the field!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am getting an Eastern Hermann's from Garden State Tortoise (aka Hermanni Haven) this October. The breeder is Chris Leone and he is extremely reputable and I believe, rather famous in the field!
Yes, indeed.
And a member of this Forum.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Welcome! i am very fond of russians, however i live in vermont and they can only be outside during the summer and my outdoor enclosure will have to include a heated box (or they will have to come inside in the summer) and of course are indoor pets in the winter. i think if you monitor the lows and keep them inside or in a heated box at night they should do pretty well. i would deff check out the threads tidgys dad posted they probably have alot of answers to your questions

Keep meaning to ask you, when your tortoise(s) are indoors do your cats pay them any attention?