Intro. Hello from Monterey, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Monterey, CA
Hello. I'm new to this forum and also a new Sulcata keeper. We brought home 2 baby Sulcatas about a week ago while visting my sister in southern CA. They are 17 weeks old today. We have them in a 55 gallon tank and they seem to be doing good (basking area is about 90 degrees and cool area is mid 70s). I soak them everyday for about 15-30 mins. We have been feeding them romaine lettuce and we started feeding them dandelion flowers yesterday.

Since we have warmer weather today, I took them outside to get some good Vita D for about 30 minutes. We noticed that they were much more active (roamed around every where). The weather temperature was in the 80s. Why are they so much more active in our backyard than their inside enclosure? Thanks in advance for your input.

Thanks,
MDMy BabySulcatas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, you might want to start feeding the spring mix or dark leafy greens, they will need more than romaine other than that it sounds like you are doing a good job.. They are more active due to the natural UV they get from the sun and they just enjoy being outside..

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
First of all welcome! They look great! They can withstand the sun for much longer periods than 30 minutes...6 hours sounds better...as long as the sun is out...and the temp is at least 75. Stay away from fluorescent lighting when they're indoors...especially the coil-type lamps! You'll want to invest in a good 100 or 160 Watt MVB lamp...Zoo Med's Powersun is the best IMHO! In the meantime, read this thread...it'll get you where you want to be!;)

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1KqoVoyWv

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Ahh you have now witnessed the magical abilities of the sun on tortoises. Simply put some things manmade, can just not come close to the real thing, sunlight is one of those things. Glad you have joined us and hope you spend some time reading up on these special critters you have gotten. Plus, be sure to keep sharing pictures of your little guys as they grow up! :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Marinaresident:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name (or is "MD" what you want us to call you)?

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
Hi, Everyone. Thank you for welcoming me to this forum! I appreciate your prompt response and input...Will do. At first I was hesitant to bring them outside because I read somewhere that they are too young to be taken outside...obiviously I disagreed. Today was actually the first time I took them outside...I rather give them the natural UV than the fluorescent lighting. When your Sulcata tortoise was a "hatchling", did you take them outside for a few hours? How many days per week would you recommend?

Thanks,
Marcel (MD is a combination of the first letter of my first name and husband's). =)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
marinaresident said:
Hi, Everyone. Thank you for welcoming me to this forum! I appreciate your prompt response and input...Will do. At first I was hesitant to bring them outside because I read somewhere that they are too young to be taken outside...obiviously I disagreed. Today was actually the first time I took them outside...I rather give them the natural UV than the fluorescent lighting. When your Sulcata tortoise was a "hatchling", did you take them outside for a few hours? How many days per week would you recommend?

Thanks,
Marcel (MD is a combination of the first letter of my first name and husband's). =)

Everyday that there's sunshine...at least 6 hours (or more) a day would be GREAT! If you can pull off that kind of sun exposure then you don't need ANY artificial light...and NO nightbulbs...they're worthless. Instead pick up a ceramic heat emitter (CHE).

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Love the Monterey area...
outside is best. Make a safe outdoor enclosure for them. They will wander away if not watched.. they are also vulnerable to predators.. which is one reason some scurry and run while outside. They feel threatened.. So dont let them get too stressed. Another good reason to build them a safe place outside with hidey places.

Status
Not open for further replies.