Hello from Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Kvmommy

Hello Everyone! I'm a proud new mom of two Sulcata tortoises. My kids named them Storm and Sprinkles. Storm was hatched in May 11 and Sprinkles was a surprise late straggler from the same clutch and she hatched on May 22. Storm is super friendly and eats non stop but Sprinkles has been having a bit of a rough start. image.jpgimage.jpg

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435711445.619491.jpg
Cute hatchlings you got there. And Thanks for joining the forum! Hope you learn everything you need. :)
Here are a few helpful links:
1-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index....ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
2-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Sulcata-Diet-Sheet.52677/
3-http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Helpful-Threads.35317/

Browse the Sulcata section and the general tort discussion sections if you need to read more about these beautiful creatures.... If you have any question don't be afraid to ask. Good luck! :D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. The big one might be bowling in the little one, or just dominating. You should consider separating them.

Kvmommy

Thanks! So far there's been no aggression at all. Before we found you guys, the guy we bought them from said they are fine together for a few years at least and may still get along as adults and often do enjoy the company. So we got two. But the big one pretty much has only one goal in mind...eat. He leaves the little alone. We did separate them for a bit because I found the little one flipped a lot. But it turns out she flips from scaling the sides of the enclosures. She does sometimes crawl on the back of the bigger one and tries to scale the enclosire but both are really content together. Mostly they ignore each other but sometimes seem to travel together.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There are several threads about keeping pairs of tortoises. Check them out and see what you think. And many of us don't realize that people who are selling tortoises often don't know a thing about them. Pet stores are notorious for giving bad information also. You have come to the right place for updated current information. Check out Thompson threads under the sulcata section and you will have all the information you need.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The problem is that bullying can be mental as well as physical. The little one trying to get climb out is probably seeking somewhere it won't be harassed. Too often a tort becomes quiet, eats a bit less and is generally quieter... it's not a good sign that's mental bullying.

Pet stores have a poor reputation for their knowledge when it comes to tortoises, finding a vet that knows their stuff is hard enough. Selling pets is the bottom line for a pet store.

These animals are different sizes which makes bullying even more likely. Please split them, otherwise I fear you will have a very sick tort to deal with.

Kvmommy

I bought them from a local guy, not a pet store but I have separated them again. I'll probably rehome one when she's better because I don't really have to space to keep two separate tortoises. I feel so bad and wish I had found this site beforehand.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aloha, don't feel bad. There are so many of us that started out with all kinds of bad info. Luckily you found us and can trust that we won't steer you wrong.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I bought them from a local guy, not a pet store but I have separated them again. I'll probably rehome one when she's better because I don't really have to space to keep two separate tortoises. I feel so bad and wish I had found this site beforehand.

I commend you for making the right choice! Trust me, one sulcata will be a full time job! Plus, the one you keep will be so much happier!

Maybe a friend with a nice big yard can take him and you and the family can visit.
Don't forget to tell the new owners about us;)

Kvmommy

I'm definitely going to only find the best home for her. If she makes it. She eats fine but just doesn't seem as active. Trying different foods, carrot food soaks more time outside but she just doesn't seem quite well. Not as active as the other any way

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
AlooooHA and welcome to the forum. Someone will adore your baby sulcata and be delighted to have her if you decide it is best. You really found the greatest forum for advice ! Our adult sulcata (adopted this year) is exceedingly grateful for the help of tortoise forum. You will find well informed people and good advice here.

I hope Sprinkles perks up for you. Eating well is always an encouraging sign (right?).

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome. Good to have you here. Welcome

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Alpha and welcome to TFO! Always nice to see a kaamaina on here. My fella is a North Shore boy with family all over the islands.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Storm and Sprinkles.
I am fairly certain that they will be better apart and if you don't have the space then I sincerely hope you find a good home for Sprinkles, eating a lot is a good sign and everything should be fine, hopefully.