Hello, first time turtle...

Lyra

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello,

This is my first time posting and my first time ever having a turtle. I found the hatchling outside, (well, my Mom's dog found it) and it looked a little worse for wear. It was upside down, not sure if the dog flipped it or found it that way, one eye was crusted shut and there was some abrasions on its back legs and tail. Found out through some research online that the eye was a somewhat common issue and would probably resolve on its own with the right humidity, but I didn't want to leave it outside with the injuries when it was so small, about the size of a half-dollar. I have a 'reptile room' in my house that is full of Leo's, Beardies, and Anoles, so I tend to be very soft-hearted when it comes to reptiles anyways. So I brought him inside to see if I could help him recover and had planned on releasing him as soon as he got better.

I put him in a rubbermaid tub that I had used for my Leo's as hatchlings and mixed up some Eco-earth and sphagnum moss for substrate and keep it really moist. I had an extra Reptisun 5.0 that I'm using on him set for 8 hrs a day. The ambient temperature in the room itself stays around 75 degrees at night, and peaks at about 80 degrees during the day sometimes if its warmer outside, so I didn't think an additional heat source would be necessary, however, I did place part of the tub on a 5 watt UTH just too keep the moisture on the warmer side and let the turtle choose where he wanted to go. Fast-forward a few weeks and his eye is completely open now and the cut on his legs and tail are finally all healed up. He's eating mealworms, but doesn't seem that interested in greens and such, but I'm aware of the extra protein needed for omnivorous hatchling's growth so I don't worry about that part too much.

Here is my dilemma; it's now getting cold here in Maryland. Would it be better to keep him through the winter (obviously changing to a bigger habitat) or do you think he would be alright outside? It is supposed to get up into the mid 50's this week but it has been getting down into the 30's at night. I know more about lizards then I do turtles and tortoises, so I'm not sure about their behavior and survival patterns in the wild as much. Has he missed his window of opportunity to find some place to make it through the winter? Sorry this got so long.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Lyra
I don't recamend hibernation the first year because of health problems seen and unseen . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448427035.831361.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lyra, and welcome to the Forum!

You don't say what kind of turtle - a water turtle or a box turtle?

You need to know your state laws about picking up native turtles - well, first of all, I guess you need to know if this is a native turtle or not, then know your state laws about picking up native turtles. In my opinion, because this turtle has been under your care for a while, learning that the food god provides food for him, it wouldn't be a good idea to release it back into the wild. And for sure, if it's not native to Maryland it shouldn't be released. This is a bad time to release a cold-blooded animal. He hasn't had time to acclimate to the cooler weather and get ready for hibernation. If it's legal to keep him, that's what I would do...either that or find a wildlife or reptile rescue and turn him in.

Can we see pictures of the little guy?

AnimalLady

Hello and welcome! Thank you for helping the little guy!

Do you have any pix to show us? :)

Lyra

Maryland
So I will keep him through the winter then until spring. Knowing me, I may end up keeping him, but if not I know of a wildlife center I could take him too. He's a box turtle, his mother had buried the eggs in my neighbors yard and he had made his way to my yard. In Maryland you are allowed 1 from the wild, I believe, unless that has changed since I was younger. I guess I have a lot of research to start doing! Is there a minimum dimension for a hatchling? I have a 28 qt rubbermaid tub that I could use to give him more room, I believe its 17" x 24".

20151021_132712.jpg 20151021_123242.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
From the 'net:

ENVIRONENT & ENCLOSURE
Hatchling box turtles are initially very delicate and sensitive to their captive environment. Most, even desert-dwelling species require humid enclosures. We have had success keeping desert species, forest species, and marsh species in a 20-gallon long aquarium with a shallow (1") depth of clean, chlorine-free water and live plants. We add heat from below with a heating pad on the low setting and we add a 40-watt or 60-watt incandescent bulb in a clamp-type fixture above a warmer basking area. UVB-emitting bulbs in an aquarium fixture or a shop light fixture are placed above the enclosure. We add several shelters such as plastic shelters, piles of leaves, and cork bark. Soon after hatching they begin to feed eagerly on live food such as redworms, blackworms, and small crickets. We believe that baby box turtles grow well if fed small amounts of this variety of food each day. Be sure to add calcium with D3 and vitamin powder to their meals every few feedings.

DIET
Box turtles are omnivores and feed on a huge variety of food in the wild. In captivity, they are especially fond of live food such as earthworms, redworms, wax worms, crickets, pink mice, and even goldfish. They will eat MAZURI® Tortoise Diet and high-quality canned cat food (beef, chicken, turkey, etc.), but this should only be a small part of their overall diet and many keepers choose not to feed cat food as it is high in fat and protein which can lead to obesity and shell deformities. At the TTPG, our box turtles will eat earthworms, superworms, MAZURI® Tortoise Diet, soaked Zupreme Monkey Biscuits®, and chopped fruits in addition to the large variety of live foods listed above. Finely grated veggies with dark green lettuces, kale, and fruits such as melons, berries, cantaloupe, are also accepted (though not eagerly) once or twice a week.

AnimalLady

Oh what a cute little thing!! I'd be so excited to find something like that in my yard... one can only wish!

Lyra

Maryland
He's the smallest box turtle I've seen, usually I see the adults in the backyard in the summer. So is it really too late to set him free? I hate to think my helping him may have harmed him as well. I know you're supposed to leave nature to do it's own thing, but it was really hard for me to just leave him there. His eye took about 2 weeks to fully open and his leg and tail took almost 3. I was hoping to return him to the yard, so I really didn't mess with him too much other than dropping in mealworms and greens, and misting the tub to keep the humidity up.

With my reptiles I do my best to provide the best recreation of their natural environment that I can possibly do. I will contact the wildlife center after the holiday and see if they can help me with him too. Thanks for all the information, I'm going to browse this site and read as much about care as I can. If I end up keeping him I'll definitely build an outdoor enclosure for a good part of the year.

beasy910

I am scared to let my turtle hibernate this year too, I'm worried I wouldn't do it right! But I wonder if it's a good decision also .