First time post

Michaelangelosmom

Location (City and/or State)
Llano, Texas
This is my first time to post here, although I have visited this site many times. I have found so much useful information. I joined yesterday and did a profile post, so hope it is all there. Not really sure how to put a picture up, because I know it will be helpful, but I will try. I started helping my grandson with his Sulcata back in March. He had asked for a turtle, while staying with his mother and Step-father, but they decided he needed a Sulcata??? This was going g on two years ago, and the tortoise, Michaelangelo, (he was a huge fan of the Ninja Turtles when he was little)was still very small, but not sue on the age. At the time my grandson was given Michael, my grandson was 15, and to make this long story a little shorter, he was told here, research how to take care of it. He was staying there with his mom and step-dad for a year, but came back home to his dad's this past January. He tried the best he could, with what things he was given,but knew Michael was not growing like he should. He asked me to help and so our journey began this past March. I am really surprised that he is as healthy as he is, due to having a very small enclosure as he had, not going outside at all until this past March and not getting the proper foods, but we were both determined to do our best for him. Michael lives with me now, as my grandson's room is just not big enough to house a proper size habitat, but he visits all the time and I have fallen in love with Michael! I don't know if torts can have a personality, but he sure seems to! So, sorry for the long intro, but thought it might help a little for these upcoming questions. He now has a new habitat that is 5 foot long, and has a cool side at one end and at the other end, his basking rock. He doesn't have all the decorations in there, but I formed some hill type area, because he really likes going over these. I took Tom's advice for using the incandescent flood lamp for basking and the ceramic heating element for warmth elsewhere, and a LED bulb for light when needed. His habitat is in front of a big west window which gets a lot of light, especially in the afternoon. We take him outside each day we can which totals about 2 hours per week, sometimes more, depending on the weather.(we live in central Texas) My question is, what size uvb/uva tube should I get for his enclosure for those days it is too cold for him to go outside, especially the length of the tube, and should it be a 5 or a 10? He eats very well, but I have never been quite sure on the amount, but he has grown. My backyard has plenty of dandelion and clover and I mix that in with spring mix. I know that he is not completely smooth, as he didn't get the moisture level he needed for awhile, but after reading on this forum, I am doing better on this. Sorry for such a long post, but I want to take the best care I can of him! Thank you!

Attachments

• 20211204_153501.jpg
    20211204_153501.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 20211204_152849.jpg
    20211204_152849.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 20211204_153007.jpg
    20211204_153007.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome to the Forum. Good of you to take this Sully under your wing & improve its living conditions. Sounds like you found @Tom ’s Sulcata care sheet/info. You definitely want to soak your guy every day or at least every other day. We soaked our baby every day until we could no longer lift it! Proper food, heat, lighting & space & high humidity are key.

Good luck & Happy Torting

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is my first time to post here, although I have visited this site many times. I have found so much useful information. I joined yesterday and did a profile post, so hope it is all there. Not really sure how to put a picture up, because I know it will be helpful, but I will try. I started helping my grandson with his Sulcata back in March. He had asked for a turtle, while staying with his mother and Step-father, but they decided he needed a Sulcata??? This was going g on two years ago, and the tortoise, Michaelangelo, (he was a huge fan of the Ninja Turtles when he was little)was still very small, but not sue on the age. At the time my grandson was given Michael, my grandson was 15, and to make this long story a little shorter, he was told here, research how to take care of it. He was staying there with his mom and step-dad for a year, but came back home to his dad's this past January. He tried the best he could, with what things he was given,but knew Michael was not growing like he should. He asked me to help and so our journey began this past March. I am really surprised that he is as healthy as he is, due to having a very small enclosure as he had, not going outside at all until this past March and not getting the proper foods, but we were both determined to do our best for him. Michael lives with me now, as my grandson's room is just not big enough to house a proper size habitat, but he visits all the time and I have fallen in love with Michael! I don't know if torts can have a personality, but he sure seems to! So, sorry for the long intro, but thought it might help a little for these upcoming questions. He now has a new habitat that is 5 foot long, and has a cool side at one end and at the other end, his basking rock. He doesn't have all the decorations in there, but I formed some hill type area, because he really likes going over these. I took Tom's advice for using the incandescent flood lamp for basking and the ceramic heating element for warmth elsewhere, and a LED bulb for light when needed. His habitat is in front of a big west window which gets a lot of light, especially in the afternoon. We take him outside each day we can which totals about 2 hours per week, sometimes more, depending on the weather.(we live in central Texas) My question is, what size uvb/uva tube should I get for his enclosure for those days it is too cold for him to go outside, especially the length of the tube, and should it be a 5 or a 10? He eats very well, but I have never been quite sure on the amount, but he has grown. My backyard has plenty of dandelion and clover and I mix that in with spring mix. I know that he is not completely smooth, as he didn't get the moisture level he needed for awhile, but after reading on this forum, I am doing better on this. Sorry for such a long post, but I want to take the best care I can of him! Thank you!
Hello and welcome. Any length of UV tube will work. It does not need to cover the entire top of the enclosure. I prefer the Arcadia 12% HO tubes in a reflector hood. You can buy these at lightyourreptiles.com. The 22" or the 34" will do the job just fine.

You will need a Solarmeter 6.5 to measure the UV output and set the height correctly.

Also, sulcatas, unlike some of the temperate species, do not need a cool side. The whole enclosure should remain above 80 degrees all the time, and it should climb into the low 90s during the day. This is in addition to a 100 degree basking area directly under the bulb. These warmer temps will help with the gut flora and fauna, which will help get growth back on track.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome a covered enclosure is the only way to keep the humidity up in the 80% range. You notice the upper shell (carapace) is bumpy. This is called pyramiding, you cant fix what has already happened but if you get the correct humidity in the enclosure. As he grows it will somewhat smooth out. Check out tortoises with bad pyramiding. It can become a health problem also. Pics of your enclosure would help us guide you to a proper setup. No fruit and also sunlight through a window has no UVB value. Glad you are getting a UVB light. Pics would also be good so we can see what type of substrate you are using. Pet store info is usually totally wrong. Good luck and ask questions.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Welcome to the forum. I always think how can you not fall in love with these guys who smile? Please ask questions. Please post photos 'cause we love photos!! And congrats on finding a unique way to spend time with your grandson on something you both enjoy.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Welcome to the forum. I always think how can you not fall in love with these guys who smile? Please ask questions. Please post photos 'cause we love photos!! And congrats on finding a unique way to spend time with your grandson on something you both enjoy.
Yeah, what she said.....

and what the pros said....you already know to listen!

And I will add that Mich.... looks happy and appears to be thriving, the diet will get squared away.....and very cool of you to care for him, you will get so much out of it.....but you do realize that he's going to outlive..................your grandson, right? LOL

Welcome!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi. welcome and thank you form giving this tort a better and healthier life.

Michaelangelosmom

Llano, Texas
Yeah, what she said.....

and what the pros said....you already know to listen!

And I will add that Mich.... looks happy and appears to be thriving, the diet will get squared away.....and very cool of you to care for him, you will get so much out of it.....but you do realize that he's going to outlive..................your grandson, right? LOL

Welcome!
Yep! He's already worrying about that! LOL