oscar

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Turtle Guru said:
cemmons12 said:
That is a very cool idea!

I agree with you

Do you mean one of the free standing oil filled heater being a heat radiator ?
If so the ones I have seen use 1000 watts.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I'll stick with my waterproof cables- less work! :)

The instructions for the heating rope I use suggests you secure it to some mesh or something to hold it in place, then I use it under 2" of substrate. So far, the torts have not dug it up or interfered with it, but then Red-foots are not really diggers.

As for why the ones the OP uses are not waterproof- electrical insulation is not the same as water-proof insulation. The maker cannot promise that in use some water cannot seep in and cause problems, shorting the cord, starting a fire, zapping the torts, etc.

The waterproof cord I use does have one drawback- it does not last a real long time- about 6-12 months on average from my experience, although I suspect the spacing and local heat generated affect it quite a bit.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I know you had a great post on your set up, Mark, but remind me of the brand of cables that you use?
Neal, using PVC is a great idea, it is fairly easy to work with. Let us know how it goes.

Criskers

5 Year Member
PVC is an insulator; meaning it is a poor conductor of heat. I'd go with one of the direct burial heat cables sold at garden/greenhouse supply houses.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
I have used cables like this and just put them under the enclosures/bins, not inside the enclosure in the substrate. Pretty much the way you would use heat tape. The only issue was that the bins don't sit exactly flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.