heat pads?

Emily Contreras

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I wanted to know if heatpads where a possibility instead of a light? I know they need to bask, but saturn gets more than an hour of sun everyday. Im asking this because on the seventh of september. I am getting saturn a christmas tree tote. And It would be nice if I didn't have to cut a big hole in the top for a light. Is this okay? Can I use a heat pad? I have a couple extra heatpads from my previous reptiles. (and a thermometor.) I have a old ZILLA one, it looks like this: 81uZFns+oZL._SL1200_.jpg

Turningstar

Florida
Im not sure that would put out the heat needed for digestion. Also, wont you have a light for the cage anyway? The one thing I heard is that a heat mat is bad for them to LAY on, as they could burn or overheat. They work suspended for heat, but I dont think they can replace light.

Im sure some of the other members who have much more knowledge and experience that I, will comment.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Im not sure that would put out the heat needed for digestion. Also, wont you have a light for the cage anyway? The one thing I heard is that a heat mat is bad for them to LAY on, as they could burn or overheat. They work suspended for heat, but I dont think they can replace light.

Im sure some of the other members who have much more knowledge and experience that I, will comment.
Yeah I read that it can like cook them, I will have a light, Im going to get a no light just heat bulb thingy lol. So they can sleep good

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Kane heating mats and Reptile basic heating panels are known to be safer and come highly recommended among tortoise forum members:
https://kanemfg.com/products/pets/pet-heat-mats/
http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

You'll still need a basking lamp as well as additional fixtures to light up the entire area of your enclosure. In my opinion, cutting sections off the top of your Christmas tote is going to be the easiest and most convenient way to get this done. This way, you won't have to worry about cables, adhesives, gluing, and or taping inside your enclosure. Height is also a factor. Distance between a young tortoise and the light fixture can be an issue depending on the type of light bulb used.