How to trap humidity?

Emily Contreras

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My tortoise is doing great, but I am very worried about his humidity. I have a christmas tree tote as his enclosure because he didn't like the one I built him. I cut holes in the top (for the lights) , and I have some air holes.

But the tote is very short, its maybe 7-8 inches tall. I hung the lights WAY over the enclosure. I have a che for night and a sun bulb from petco. for the day. He doesn't ever bask. His enclosure is dripping when I put the hanging light down but during the day, its hung over the enclosure. So all of the humidity escapes! How can I trap the humidity without having to replace my christmas tree tote? Because he has already adjusted to it.. It usually takes him a while to get adjusted to it. So far, I dont see any pyramiding in him, but hes only 2-3 months old. So I don't think it comes that early.

With the lights sitting on the enclosure it can get to 210 degrees.. (I tested while he was soaking dont worry he wasn't in there) So setting them down is a NO GO! Can I put almuinum and like, wood blocks?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
1. What temperature reader are you using?
2. How many wattage is the basking bulb you are using? What is a sun bulb?
3. How hot is the basking spot directly under the basking bulb? Is the bulb hung directly facing down or at an angle?
4. Is the ceramic heat emitter paired with a thermostat?

I've never seen an enclosure reach over 140F, let along 210F. My guess is that your basking bulb may be too intense and bright for your tortoise. This may be why your tortoise is not using the basking bulb as intended. Are you using a mercury vapor bulb? A smaller wattage bulb will completely fix this issue if you're currently using the closed chamber lid method.

If you're not using the lid method you can try this. Here is an example of what you can use to cover your current enclosure if you don't wish to use the lid method. You can also purchase wood or pvc and greenhouse plastic film separately and make a custom one to fit your enclosure:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOO83UK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I would double check your thermometer and basking bulb temperatures just to be sure.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My tortoise is doing great, but I am very worried about his humidity. I have a christmas tree tote as his enclosure because he didn't like the one I built him. I cut holes in the top (for the lights) , and I have some air holes.

But the tote is very short, its maybe 7-8 inches tall. I hung the lights WAY over the enclosure. I have a che for night and a sun bulb from petco. for the day. He doesn't ever bask. His enclosure is dripping when I put the hanging light down but during the day, its hung over the enclosure. So all of the humidity escapes! How can I trap the humidity without having to replace my christmas tree tote? Because he has already adjusted to it.. It usually takes him a while to get adjusted to it. So far, I dont see any pyramiding in him, but hes only 2-3 months old. So I don't think it comes that early.

With the lights sitting on the enclosure it can get to 210 degrees.. (I tested while he was soaking dont worry he wasn't in there) So setting them down is a NO GO! Can I put almuinum and like, wood blocks?
Use aluminium foil around the holes you cut. That's what I did. I have a 100 watt CHE with it set on a thermostat. I would ditch the sun bulb for a tube florescent. Redfoots aren't baskers anyway.20180514_174857.jpg

Emily Contreras

Arizona
1. What temperature reader are you using?
2. How many wattage is the basking bulb you are using? What is a sun bulb?
3. How hot is the basking spot directly under the basking bulb? Is the bulb hung directly facing down or at an angle?
4. Is the ceramic heat emitter paired with a thermostat?

I've never seen an enclosure reach over 140F, let along 210F. My guess is that your basking bulb may be too intense and bright for your tortoise. This may be why your tortoise is not using the basking bulb as intended. Are you using a mercury vapor bulb? A smaller wattage bulb will completely fix this issue if you're currently using the closed chamber lid method.

If you're not using the lid method you can try this. Here is an example of what you can use to cover your current enclosure if you don't wish to use the lid method. You can also purchase wood or pvc and greenhouse plastic film separately and make a custom one to fit your enclosure:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOO83UK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I would double check your thermometer and basking bulb temperatures just to be sure.

When I say "sun bulb" I mean a bulb that gives off light.
The bulb is only about 75 watts. The enclosure is so long that I use the che at one side, and the bulb on the other.
Im using a kinda unreliable thermometer.. Its the zoomed one. Its the "Digital thermometor" I also use the zoomed humidity measurer.
Its maybe like, 100-104 underneath.

Yes I am pairing the che with the thermostat.
No I am not using a mercury vapor bulb.

The method I am using is well..
I cut out holes in the lid thinking it would be fine to place the light directly on top of the lid. That didn't work out so I am hanging the light a bit above the lid hole. and the che is placed on the lid because it isn't THAT hot. maybe 80-90 degrees under the che.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Use aluminium foil around the holes you cut. That's what I did. I have a 100 watt CHE with it set on a thermostat. I would ditch the sun bulb for a tube florescent. Redfoots aren't baskers anyway.View attachment 254527

I don't have a redfoot though.
And I WOULD do this, but I cant, because like I said, The tote I have is maybe 7-8 inches in height..

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Oh ya, well you could get this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-Hol...OpCNNEaCjIFiGml5WhpPpPrxaXww56BhoCf-sQAvD_BwE

It's easy to modify and your light would set up a little higher

I know but "How can I trap the humidity without having to replace my christmas tree tote? Because he has already adjusted to it.."
I reeaaalllly dont wanna replace it because well... ya know he likes this one and what if I buy this one and he doesn't adjust to it D:
I mean, If I can't figure anything out on how to modify the one I have now. I will just buy another one. Hopefully he likes it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Could you possibly find out a way to use a shower curtain and tent it kind of? You need to completely seal it almost air tight to hold humidity. Every hole needs to be covered. It doesn't need air holes, when you open to feed that's enough air. That's the only way your going to be able to maintain high humidity.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
When I say "sun bulb" I mean a bulb that gives off light.
The bulb is only about 75 watts. The enclosure is so long that I use the che at one side, and the bulb on the other.
Im using a kinda unreliable thermometer.. Its the zoomed one. Its the "Digital thermometor" I also use the zoomed humidity measurer.
Its maybe like, 100-104 underneath.

Yes I am pairing the che with the thermostat.
No I am not using a mercury vapor bulb.

The method I am using is well..
I cut out holes in the lid thinking it would be fine to place the light directly on top of the lid. That didn't work out so I am hanging the light a bit above the lid hole. and the che is placed on the lid because it isn't THAT hot. maybe 80-90 degrees under the che.

I'm bad with abbreviations which is why I usually ask for more specific information before I offer others advice.

Is your sun light your basking bulb? As in used for heat and light but not UV(B)? If so what UV(B) lighting are you currently using?

Those zoomed miniature readers are very inaccurate. I've seen and heard stories about these cheap analog pet-branded readers getting +/-20 degrees off the actual temperature level of what it is trying to measure. Get an infrared temperature gun and a digital food/weather branded thermometer hygrometer reader and probe reader. Examples linked below:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV0YMH4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Y765R4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Can we see picture(s) of your enclosure? The method you're describing is usually very effective if done correctly.

Are you taping down the gaps and exposed areas to minimize the amount of areas where heat and humidity levels can escape easily?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
@Emily Contreras ...you're in ARIZONA...take his little butt outside! You don't need lights! A heat panel is ALL you need! Literaaly...two holes drilled on either end of the tote is all the vent you need. You get cirulation everytime you open the lid...which should remain intact! This is the set-up I used while the ITs were hatchlings! That particular tub his en adible substrate...which I used for two hours a day...then switched it out for coco coir/bark for the night! I use the same principle still...but on a larger scale!DSC_0556.JPG DSC_0557.JPG DSC_0558.JPG

Emily Contreras

Arizona
I'm bad with abbreviations which is why I usually ask for more specific information before I offer others advice.

Is your sun light your basking bulb? As in used for heat and light but not UV(B)? If so what UV(B) lighting are you currently using?

Those zoomed miniature readers are very inaccurate. I've seen and heard stories about these cheap analog pet-branded readers getting +/-20 degrees off the actual temperature level of what it is trying to measure. Get an infrared temperature gun and a digital food/weather branded thermometer hygrometer reader and probe reader. Examples linked below:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV0YMH4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Y765R4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Can we see picture(s) of your enclosure? The method you're describing is usually very effective if done correctly.

Are you taping down the gaps and exposed areas to minimize the amount of areas where heat and humidity levels can escape easily?

Thats what I thought, Ive seen videos of how innaccuratethey are, but it was so cheap, I decided to try my luck. Thank you!

Yes my sun light is my basking bulb. I forgot what uvb it was.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
@Emily Contreras ...you're in ARIZONA...take his little butt outside! You don't need lights! A heat panel is ALL you need! Literaaly...two holes drilled on either end of the tote is all the vent you need. You get cirulation everytime you open the lid...which should remain intact! This is the set-up I used while the ITs were hatchlings! That particular tub his en adible substrate...which I used for two hours a day...then switched it out for coco coir/bark for the night! I use the same principle still...but on a larger scale!View attachment 254577 View attachment 254578 View attachment 254579

Hes outside right now! Im lettiing him soak in the sun for an hour, since today its been a bit warm out!
I decided that I'd use my old hedgehog cage as a temporary outdoor "play area" lol. That way, no hawks or birds come and get him

Attachments

• outside1.PNG
    outside1.PNG
    354.2 KB · Views: 10
  • outside2.PNG
    outside2.PNG
    887.8 KB · Views: 12
  • outside3.PNG
    outside3.PNG
    561.2 KB · Views: 9

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hes outside right now! Im lettiing him soak in the sun for an hour, since today its been a bit warm out!
I decided that I'd use my old hedgehog cage as a temporary outdoor "play area" lol. That way, no hawks or birds come and get him

Again! There's no need whatsoever for a basking bulb (with or without UV) as long as you can provide sunlight at least an hour a day. If not...a radiant heat panel is all the heat you need. They rarely come out of their burrows for the first year...and it's only for a short time when they do! ANY and EVERY bulb (including Ceramic Heat Emitters) is almost a guarantee that you will dessicate your tortoise to one degree or another!