Growing cactus pads?

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Ok I think I remember time posting about how to start this do I just stick a pad in soil then water it? I have 4 pads I just cut from a plant.

rearlpettway

Stick it into soil then water.
We planted these and 2 weeks later we had new pads and a flower that will produce a cactus pear.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408562404.275611.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408562420.814136.jpg

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yeah that's all you do. Cactuses grow long roots so make sure you plant it where your going to leave it at.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Plant it...but don't water it for (at least) a couple of weeks! I planted these at the start of Summer...and they exploded! Each is just under 3 feet tall now! A thirty foot cactus bed...each plant started from a single "Old Mexico" pad. This also serves as one of the ITs' micro biomes!DSC_0711.JPG DSC_0712.JPG DSC_0713.JPG DSC_0714.JPG DSC_0716.JPG DSC_0717.JPG DSC_0718.JPG

And, of course, we have this little beauty going!
DSC_0715.JPG

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
The soil is important.
Here is the soil that we used.View attachment 92743

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum
I just use sand, cactus will grow very we'll in anything that drains well :)! This is my only tip: Never overwater, once or twice a month is good :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I just use sand, cactus will grow very we'll in anything that drains well :)! This is my only tip: Never overwater, once or twice a month is good :)
Good point...if you overwater...your cactus becomes a water pitcher ;) Living in the high desert, I use a mixture of plain old dirt...and succulent soil.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I think the key is not to water it too much.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I never water my cactus, it rains enough times here for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And if you must use fertilizer, you should use it half strength or even less. Cacti burn easily.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No no no...

Set your freshly cut pads some where outside with good air flow, but still shady for at least a couple of weeks. I lay them flat. This will allow the cut portion to really scar over. THEN stick the pad about one third to one half in DRY soil. I wouldn't use potting solid unless you dry it first and add a bunch of sand to it. Potting soils is meant to hold water and stay wet for most plants roots. This will cause cactus to rot. NO water for at least a month. After about one month start to water it regularly. How much to water depends on the season, the weather, and your climate. It is very dry here and I have to water all my cactus once or twice a week over the summer, or it will shrivel up and die. I don't water at all over winter as we get occasional rain and my cactus stands sit there dormant over winter.

TSchadel

Kansas
can I grow cactus INSIDE? I'm from Kansas and we get snow. Can the cactus survive cold months? I'm willing to try to grow indoors - just need some advice. Right now I'm ordering cactus pads on-line because Irwin just LOVES cactus!!! thanks!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
can I grow cactus INSIDE? I'm from Kansas and we get snow. Can the cactus survive cold months? I'm willing to try to grow indoors - just need some advice. Right now I'm ordering cactus pads on-line because Irwin just LOVES cactus!!! thanks!
You can...put it near a window where you can get it some sun...until spring. Then move it outdoors

TSchadel

Kansas
You can...put it near a window where you can get it some sun...until spring. Then move it outdoors
great.
Will I need to dig the plants up each Fall - or can they survive a cold weather winter once established outside?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
great.
Will I need to dig the plants up each Fall - or can they survive a cold weather winter once established outside?
Depends on the species. Stay away from the FL species...they'll NEVER survive a KS winter. Old Mexico pads are the best...hands down. They can survive 130ºF in the summer and -30º during the winter...even though...I cover mine with a winter blanket here in SoCal!