Healthy?

Ben C

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh
I have a little roughly four year old red-footed tortoise named Thomas. I took him outside today and noticed he looks a little pale, his skin is soft, and his shell looks like it’s shedding. His skin is also very dry but I think that’s a humidity issue with my enclosure.

Could he be deficient of some essential nutrient needed from his diet? Is this a Vitamin D issue? His diet currently consists of lettuce, spinach, boch choi, oranges, arugala, and apple. I never really feed him grass or anything from the outdoors.

Attachments

• 028A38FC-672E-4D5D-9A0F-C3D93DA42CA1.jpeg
    028A38FC-672E-4D5D-9A0F-C3D93DA42CA1.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 42
  • 7C60130A-2B14-4A01-A547-1A04F4BF2426.jpeg
    7C60130A-2B14-4A01-A547-1A04F4BF2426.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 43

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have a little roughly four year old red-footed tortoise named Thomas. I took him outside today and noticed he looks a little pale, his skin is soft, and his shell looks like it’s shedding. His skin is also very dry but I think that’s a humidity issue with my enclosure.

Could he be deficient of some essential nutrient needed from his diet? Is this a Vitamin D issue? His diet currently consists of lettuce, spinach, boch choi, oranges, arugala, and apple. I never really feed him grass or anything from the outdoors.
Your diet needs more variation. Weeds/flowers/mushroom and animal protein a couple times a month. Try some different fruits, mango, plums, strawberry, papaya, kiwi, melon, pears just to name a few. Weeds and flowers to. Lettuce is not very nutritional. Add some calcium/D3 powder to the food 2 or 3 times a week.
Need to see your set up.

It looks very dry, I would soak this guy daily for a wk then back off to s couple times a wk.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Your Redfoot is a special tortoise in that they can and will eat a huge variety of things.
And this is a bonus for us keepers. Because it means that we can always find food that our torts will eat. In the wild. At the store. Any time of the year.
Mix it up and also ad some sort of protein. Boiled egg, boiled chicken, Crickets, etc (I prefer dog food.)
@Anyfoot and I have similar diets and he does as well in the U.K. as any of us here in the tropics.
Are you providing the correct type of U.V lighting? 5.0 florescent tube
Is your humidity always over 75%?
Not too hot. Not too cold?
Roughly 81 to 85 degrees?
No bright lights or low hanging heat sources?
It all matters and once it's all dialed in, things get easy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The diet sounds off too me but I don't feed or house any RF. @Anyfoot @ZEROPILOT @allegraf can help.
Give a run down of the enclosure humidity and temps. Type of lighting and heating being used.
....What she said about the housing, keeping.
Give us information so that we can assist you. The shape of that tortoise is not horrible. But it's also not normal.
"Normal" is smoother.
The photo shows a few RF with no, to slight pyramiding.
Something. Maybe a couple things are wrong in the care.

Attachments

• 20180113_155824.jpg
    20180113_155824.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 13
Last edited: