Something is wrong with Greek HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Hey TFO my littliest Greek out of my trio has all the sudden taken a huge down hill spin..
I am completely unsure what is wrong with him

1. He feels hollow
  2. He hasn't been eating or pooping
  3. Takes him a while to open his eyes
  4. Very lathargic , still moves when I touch him but not much

I know that these signs are bad but I can't figure out what's wrong.
I have them in 70-80% WARM humidity
They get plenty of calcium and Vitamin D (have very hard shells)
I feel them the regular greens like turnip , mustard , kale, boch choy, collard , plus zoo med grassland food.

...He has red/orange spots on his skin.
I can't get pictures no matter how hard I try
But they are very small because he is small, on both sides of his head and on his legs and neck.
I have never seen them before . I have put him in isolation because he is sick and I don't want the others to get sick. The others are all fine, very active and normal acting.

I don't use coil bulbs, I don't use artifical UVB lights at all. I use a really good supplement with my varied diet to get them enough Vit D and it works really well because they have really healthy strong shells.
Just further information

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
No, I wouldn't have thought so, Med. species like Greek would be veggie (although apparently will eat the odd insect)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Greeks are purely vegetarian. They do not take insects out of choice. It would be accidental ingestion.

I'd get this little fellow to the vet asap.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I soak babies every day, especially if they feel a little off.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know some scoff at this..however it is a very real situation and one that comes to mind right away when a tort shares all same environment and all others are active and healthy.....is he possibly (likely is) being bullied? You have already removed him from the enclosure from the others...which is what I would have suggested right away...if a tortoise is being bullied they will stop eating drinking basking and their goal becomes staying away from all of the places that these things take place...they move as little as possible to avoid conflict...as a result you have a tortoise that as a result will slowly decline in private and when it gets yo a critical state that is when you will notice what is going on....a side note, if he was part of a group and you have now removed him from that group I would strongly suggest you now keep a close eye on the remaining group members...since he is gone from that group dynamic there is a strong possibility the group dynamic will change again....watch for any of the others now withdrawing.....I would warm up his enclosure and do soaks a couple times a day to begin with..and continue to offer food and allow for some warm hiding spots....

This is just my take on what you described....

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I know some scoff at this..however it is a very real situation and one that comes to mind right away when a tort shares all same environment and all others are active and healthy.....is he possibly (likely is) being bullied? You have already removed him from the enclosure from the others...which is what I would have suggested right away...if a tortoise is being bullied they will stop eating drinking basking and their goal becomes staying away from all of the places that these things take place...they move as little as possible to avoid conflict...as a result you have a tortoise that as a result will slowly decline in private and when it gets yo a critical state that is when you will notice what is going on....a side note, if he was part of a group and you have now removed him from that group I would strongly suggest you now keep a close eye on the remaining group members...since he is gone from that group dynamic there is a strong possibility the group dynamic will change again....watch for any of the others now withdrawing.....I would warm up his enclosure and do soaks a couple times a day to begin with..and continue to offer food and allow for some warm hiding spots....

This is just my take on what you described....

I'm doing all those things and hopefully he gets better

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You said you don't use any artificial UVB are they outside every day or so? I thought they had to have UVB to process the calciumD3?
Good luck. Hope the vet can help you

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I didn't take him to a vet but since I isolated him from the other he has drastically improved and is eating again. Moving around a lot more with his eyes open. Already feels heavier.
He is an extreme runt, he is almost six months old and the size of a hatchling still , not.much bigger then a quarter.. Half the size of the other two for some reason. I will not be putting him in the same cage of the larger ones again because he is too small
I am probably going to post picture compariaions later. The little Guy next to a quarter snf then next to the other Greeks

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I'm glad he is doing better. I would keep a close eye on the two that are still together now. If the problems were related to stress caused by a dominant tortoise, now that you have removed the target of his bullying, the dominate one may turn his attention to the other tortoise that is left with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.