Getting this tortoise healthy

Mys

I spoke to a vet, and they said his shell looks awful. What can we do to to get him healthy. Russian tortoise, We keep him at about 90 degrees. He doesn't eat his vitamin supplements, he does have a good appetite. Any tips to get his color and skin healthy?

IMG_20170705_170723.jpg IMG_20170705_170743.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Russian tortoises can be all different kinds of colors. Read the Russian tortoise care sheet in the species specific section. Sprinkle a tiny bit of his supplements on food he really likes.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm not a Russian owner, but it really doesn't look bad to me.

How are you offering vitamin supplements? If you are adding them to his food you only need a very small amount, you shouldn't even see it when it's mixed in. I don't use vitamins, instead I provide a large varied diet. What foods is he eating currently?

Bee62

Germany
Why do the VET said that the shell looks awful ? And the skin looks pretty normal to me. It is normal that tortoises loose little parts of the skin for new skin.
I am not a russian tortoise owner but I think that 90 F is to warm for that species. They need it colder, especially at night.
How long do you own that tort ? Can you show us some more pics of the enclosure ? What do you feed and how often do the tort eat ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's absolutely nothing wrong with this tortoise. He looks great!! If your vet says something's wrong with this nice-looking tortoise, I say there's something wrong with your vet. He must not be very familiar with this species of tortoise.

In my opinion, you're keeping this tortoise too hot. The majority of his habitat should be room temperature, with it being about 100F directly under the light.

But, even better, set him up outside.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
suggest you go to the suggested list of reptile vets in different areas; and find one who has experience with tortoises. Giving your tortoise a daily warm soak daily will help get rid of any dried skin hes sloughing (which they all do as they grow).. Check the care guides under SPECIES category for Russians. A good diet; some good hydration; as well as good enclosure and this will be a beautiful tortoise.