Is my Russians poop healthy? (Picture)

LudusPlus

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield
Hi,

When I first got Duncan he had a diet of round lettuce and fruit only and I didn't see him poop or find poop anywhere for a week, even with soaking etc.

Now he seems to poop quite a lot! I'll admit his diet is quite grocery store heavy- lettuce (red & green), lambs lettuce, kale, watercress, rocket, basil, mint, coriander, pak choi, etc etc.. pretty much anything I can get he will eat on rotation. I don't really do "treats", he's going to have a little bit of pumpkin once a week and he has had a little bit of cucumber for hydration purposes (like when he peed all over the vets) but he's only had about 1 slice in the past few weeks.

I'm just wondering if his poop looks okay, because I can see undigested red lettuce and it looks a bit wet? Also when I say he doesn't like his cuttlebone this is proof because he pooped on it! Lol sorry for the gross picture... im going to delete it off my phone now :)20231010_150415.jpg

Last edited:

LudusPlus

Sheffield
Normally I find poops when I spot clean but they're always covered in substrate by the time I get to them so I never noticed it is so wet, or other times he will poop in the bath.

If this isn't healthy, is it because I changed his diet a lot? Or maybe it's because he needs to eat more weeds and grasses. I'm currently weighing up options to improve that part.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Not a very appealing photo, but better out than in, as they say ! It looks just like Zola's does occasionally if he has not had enough fibrous food. I think you need to give him quite a lot more fibre - as you say, weeds and grasses would help - avoid lettuce and cucumber. If you can possibly get hold of dandelion leaves, they are very good, and clover,but anything wild is probably more fibrous than most of what you are giving him. But very well washed, of course.
It may take a few days to show visible improvement though, because of the length of time it takes to pass through him.
Angie

LudusPlus

Sheffield
Not a very appealing photo, but better out than in, as they say ! It looks just like Zola's does occasionally if he has not had enough fibrous food. I think you need to give him quite a lot more fibre - as you say, weeds and grasses would help - avoid lettuce and cucumber. If you can possibly get hold of dandelion leaves, they are very good, and clover,but anything wild is probably more fibrous than most of what you are giving him. But very well washed, of course.
It may take a few days to show visible improvement though, because of the length of time it takes to pass through him.
Angie
It's even worse that he was eating and then decided to let that out at the same time...

Thanks for the reassurance (again lol). To be honest last time I gave him cucumber he didn't even eat it (I think he's broken).

Hopefully it'll look a little better with more weeds. I think I can buy dandelion leaves online, he absolutely ignores any dried food but if I can rehydrate he might enjoy.

LudusPlus

Sheffield
I think I uploaded the photo wrong, I meant to add as attachment but now it's just massive and in your face... oh well, I did warn in the title 💩

I'm not super concerned since it isn't complete diahorrea and his diet is getting better/expanding in variety every day but any tips are always useful.