He got picky >:|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Sheldon got picky. He wasn't eating this weekend. Past 4 days he didn't touch his food but he was active and looked healthy. So I gave him a tomato to see if it was a stomach problem.
Well, he ate the tomato just fine. Devoured it.

So I've now got a picky tortoise who won't get tomato again until he eats his veggies!

Sheldon, you are a bad boy!

(Though if he goes more than a week without really eating I'll take him to the vet)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
My lil ones will only eat the spring mix so far... they turn thier little noses up at soft Mazuri and show no interest in the mushrooms I keep picking out of thier enclosure that seem to sprout over night.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't know of any russian who can resist hibiscus flowers.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Talka, welcome to the world of fussy tortoises! They are so good at this manipulation and guilt-trip!

As long as you bathe daily to ensure hydration (that 20 mintue soak) all will be well. A healthy tortoise can easily last 3 weeks without eating, but usually decides it's hungry and starts to eat.

Unless there is severe weight loss or other signs of ill-health stand firm, no more tomato, and you don't need to visit the vet in 7 days time.

andreaashby15

5 Year Member
My tort has turned up his nose to food also! Little stinker. He was eating the dark green lettuce and I wanted to give him a little variety so I gave him Kale and he's not eating it. He took 2 or 3 bites of it last night and has ignored it since. Apparently he's not happy with it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
andreaashby15 said:
My tort has turned up his nose to food also! Little stinker. He was eating the dark green lettuce and I wanted to give him a little variety so I gave him Kale and he's not eating it. He took 2 or 3 bites of it last night and has ignored it since. Apparently he's not happy with it.

Hang in there. They can be little buggers. You can mix Radicchio in, that is often popular, as far as something you get in the stores. Mine like the Christmas cactus blooms as well.
When the Rose of Sharon (hibiscus) and the day lilies bloom, they will be very happy. Also, pansies are popular, and are early bloomers in cooler climates.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine is 11 mo. old. He still won't eat Mazuri, mushrooms, grass. He eats all other greens. Loves Christmas cactus and prickly pear fruit. Will eat cactus pads if cut into tiny pieces. I have also tried mixing canned pumpkin with Mazuri, won't eat it and won't eat plain pumpkin. I keep trying. I guess he knows what he wants.

Zamric said:
My lil ones will only eat the spring mix so far... they turn thier little noses up at soft Mazuri and show no interest in the mushrooms I keep picking out of thier enclosure that seem to sprout over night.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
RE: He got picky >:|

My red foot won't eat anything except Marzui, not even juicy sweet strawberries or cherries.

Status
Not open for further replies.