hatchlings outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Do any of you keep your hatchlings outdoors?

I'm not sure if I should plan any outdoor accomodations for my 2 hatchling RFs, yearling Leo., 2 hatchling Spiders and hatchling Hermann. I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about having them outside unsupervised, even if they're in sturdy enclosures...

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I think if you picked up some of the smaller rabbit cages you could move them in and out easily. Just keep an eye on CL for them, I usually pick them up pretty cheap on CL.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
That's a good idea! Now that you say that, i remember that I have that rabbit hutch and that other cage type thingy that has the ramps (which I think I'd pull out if hatchlings were in there...) Doi!

Okay can spring come NOW so I can get started on all this! I'm sooo looking forward to having torts outside and having my electric bill go down as I can turn off all of those lights! Since each of my indoor things has at least one heat light and one UVB light, that's like 14 lights turned on all the time.... adds up!

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I wouldn't take any chances with the hatchling spider torts. Aren't they really sensitive?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
As long as it's in the mid 80's, they can go out during the day for this year. Next year they will be able to handle bigger swings in temperature.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Okay so just HOT days for the Spiders, good to know!!!!!!!!! How hot is too hot outside for them?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'm building a gazebo type house of lattice for my hatchlings. This I feel will protect from preditors and extremes of temp. Now this is for forest type torts (RFs, Burmese Mountain, NA woods, and Florida boxes). Each specie will have it's own enclosure of course.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
100F is to hot. When it's warm you want to make sure they are in the shade and kept humid and they will be fine. :D

Danny

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Of course your redfoots won't be basking but they are O.K. with higher temps as long as they can be out of the sun.. in the shade.. the darker the better.. like big mounds of moist moss.. in the shade! Where'd they go???

They do like fresh air.. as long as it's in the shade!

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.