Housing Different Species as Hatchlings

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Is the enclosure made of glass? I would not recommend it: torts do not understand that and would keep trying to get out, causing stress.

coltonspidey

Is the enclosure made of glass? I would not recommend it: torts do not understand that and would keep trying to get out, causing stress.
I know, but I live with my uncle and we are currently selling my house so I had to use glass so it would look good but I have a Zoo Med Tortoise House but he wanted me to use this but I'm going to add like back grounds to each side

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Glass is fine, just add some site barriers. I have several turtle hatchlings in glass with zero issues. The biggest thing you need to do is make it a closed chamber if you want the torts to stay smooth and not pyramid. I'm sure someone will come a long and give you the links to closed chambers, it's easy to add a top on the tank.

coltonspidey

Glass is fine, just add some site barriers. I have several turtles in glass with zero issues. The biggest thing you need to do is make it a closed chamber if you want the torts to stay smooth and not pyramid. I'm sure someone will come a long and give you the links to closed chambers, it's easy to add a top on the tank.
Yeah I have spagnum moss on the sides with plants as well. Also what is so bad about a screen top?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You can"t get the humidity you need for them. They need a very High Humidity in order to stay smooth and healthy at a young age. Someone please attach the links for him to read over.

coltonspidey

You can"t get the humidity you need for them. They need a very High Humidity in order to stay smooth and healthy at a young age. Someone please attach the links for him to read over.
Do I need to buy anything ? Or can I just use like a plastic wrap or anything ?! Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

This is not true. Glass is fine. I and other keepers on this forum have been using all sorts of glass tanks for decades with no problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I would disagree , I have never had that problem . In addition , if your temps and humidity are at the proper levels , condensation will create a natural sight barrier ! :)

humid tank.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Just make sure and cover the top to hold the heat and humidity and nothing is filtering the lights.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
So what should I use to cover the screen?
I have 2 sliding screens on my tank , one I used plastic sheeting . On the one with the light I used foil . I did need to cut a square hole in the screen so my light would fit , since the bulb extended beyond the dome of the fixture !

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I agree with the above. I cut wood for my tanks and then holes for the lights. I can post a pic of it later.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
This is just a quick example and it works great. I cut the wood to fit down inside the lip around the tank. Next I will put foil over the wood to keep the wood safe. This one only has one hole because I use it for incubating eggs because it's small. You will need more holes for lights and a CHE. Hope this helps.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464987155.707414.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464987170.794178.jpg