Housing Different Species as Hatchlings

coltonspidey

Hello, I'm new to the forum but I have a question. I have a Sulcata hatchling and I also have a Giant South African Leo ( P. Pardalis ) so would it be okay to house them together since they are hatchlings or should I have separate enclosures. Also during summer I have an outdoor enclosures so should I still separate them?

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Keep them separately Torts do not do well together weather they are the same , or different types !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I sometimes keep hatchlings together, but I'm retired and have a lot of time to keep an eye on them and watch for any signs of dominance.

Since both your species are captive bred, it's probably not as important to "not mix species,"

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would play it safe and keep them separate. Even as young ones, they can still dominate over each other.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I stay away from one and one housing, one of the two will always somehow dominate. As for mixing species it is for the most part never a good idea.

The times when I set these general rules aside is when they came out of the same incubator and there are many neonates. Then neonate size takes the roll of what I will put in an enclosure or not. Five or six of two species total that are initially the same size I'm okay with. There may even be an advantage to group housing many neonates together, they see each other eat, and that can prompt the slow learners what to do.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Torts do not like/need/want company, therefore I'd rather you separated them, so as to remain on the safe side.;)

Please post pictures of your torts as well as their enclosures.:D Make sure they are warm, and that there is enough humidity so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration. And do not forget to give them daily soaks in warm water.:)

RedFire

Beijing,China
I got one sulcata, one leopard and two hermanns together and they are doing well, but they are young. I will separate them when they grow up enough. If I got a big enclosure I will still let them together.

coltonspidey

I mist his enclosure once in the morning before school and once after school and my school ours are 7:30 am to 4:00 pm

coltonspidey

I also use a Mercury Vapor Bulb and I planted cactus and I'm also trying to grow some grass in his enclosure and then once he out grows this enclosure then I'm going to move him into a 8x4 that's already made.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Very cute enclosure, my only comment would be to ditch that water bowl and get a terra cotta plant saucer.
They're very cheap and when dug into the substrate it makes it easier for the torts to get in and out.

Also, I personally wouldn't mix species or house 2 torts together.
Regardless of age, size or large enclosure size. I just wouldn't do it. Too many worries with germs mixing and stressed out babies.

coltonspidey

And for my Leo, I just want to house them together for now and then I will separate them and I will build another 8x4 so that will hopefully last them for a while since they are Juveniles and then ( I have plenty of land ) I will make a larger enclosure.