Spiders and other insects regarding hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laijla

5 Year Member
Quick question - Have people lost hatchlings to spiders or beetles when kept outside?
I have a 3'x5' box (13" tall) with a hardware cloth top and larger wire grid bottom to let plants grow in/through... I wanted to plant it this weekend. I was very excited to get my 8-10 month old rf hatchling out now that the weather has warmed!
Well, this past weekend while I was planting up some houseplants I let my tort wander a few feet away from me wading in water puddles and chomping on some weeds. Out of now where a quarter sized wood spider popped out of the grass and b-lined for the tort! He looked like he was going after the hatchling!?? I smashed him before he reached the hatchling but wondered if the tortoises movement caught its attention & he would have left it alone upon closer investigation. ??? I might have over reacted and if so, sorry mister or miss spider :(
I know these tortoises have many more predators to worry about about in the wild than my backyard but I'm curious if spiders and insects have been problematic for people keeping hatchlings outdoors? I do not have fire ant issues where I live luckily. I have concentrated on shade, raccoon, rat, dog, kid 'proofing' the enclosure I was wondering if overlooked the threat of insects...
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Laijla

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Actually I believe a tort of 8 to 10 months is a greater threat to most spiders than the other way around. That is about the age my little guys began spending time outside and they did their share of bug hunting (mainly sowbugs but didn't pass up the occasional spider).

Laijla

5 Year Member
Itort said:
Actually I believe a tort of 8 to 10 months is a greater threat to most spiders than the other way around. That is about the age my little guys began spending time outside and they did their share of bug hunting (mainly sowbugs but didn't pass up the occasional spider).

Thanks Larry! I was pretty sure I might be over thinking this issue :rolleyes: My tort has devoured many slugs and earthworms but the spider seemingly 'stalking' him was pretty weird. My rf tort is about 2 and 3/4 inches now. The wire top of the enclosure is 5/8" hardware cloth - pretty tough for anything other than bugs to get into... I think he has a lot of bug hunting days ahead of him :)
thanks! Laijla

Status
Not open for further replies.