Happy New Year

J_W

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hello,

My name is Jason and I'm from Western Colorado. I have been fascinated with turtles and tortoises my whole life. I have done tons of research online regarding different species, but mostly Sulcatas. I am in love with them. I wanted to buy one, but would have rather adopted one, so I started looking at ones needing new homes. I came across one on Craigslist that was just a few months old. The previous owners didn't know much about them and once they learned how big they get, they decided to find it a new home. That's where I came in. We got her on New Year's Day.

View attachment 66229

Me and my girlfriend named her Patton. I am thinking it's a girl because I read that if they have an extra scute then they are predominately female. I know it's not 100% accurate but for now that's what I am going with.

View attachment 66230

She is now known as Princess Patton because for the first few days she wouldn't eat unless I was hand feeding her and my girlfriend said she is spoiled. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jason:

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry your pictures didn't show up...would like to see Patton.

J_W

Colorado
Sorry I will try again with tiny pic.

2r3jeqx.jpg

21cyoli.jpg

339t1t4.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, I LOVE the extra scute!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). She is adorable. Looks like you are getting her set up better then where she came from. For more good things too learn about her care, please read Toms threads below in my post. She already has quite a bit of pyramiding started, with the right temps and humidity, you can get the new growth to start growing in smooth.

J_W

Colorado
Thank you Yvonne. I love the extra scute too, it makes her very unique.

Thanks wellington. I agree about the pyramiding. I have her humid hide around 90% humidity and around 80 degrees. She loves her hide. I showed it to her once and now when she's done eating or cruising around she goes straight to it. I have it full of coir so she has dig her way in and I think she likes that.

I have read all of Tom's threads and learned a lot. I keep her whole enclosure humid, spray her down and soak her a few times a day. I hope all new growth is smooth and in a year or two you won't be able to notice this early pyramiding.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good job, you learn quick. I'm sure she will look fantastic in a year. Heck, even the pyramided ones look fantastic:D. After all they are all beautiful tortoises.:)

J_W

Colorado
wellington said:
Good job, you learn quick. I'm sure she will look fantastic in a year. Heck, even the pyramided ones look fantastic:D. After all they are all beautiful tortoises.:)

I agree. All tortoises are cute, but Sulcatas are the best looking IMO!
Red Foots are a close second. :)

J_W

Colorado
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Jason welcome to the TFO from AZ

Thank you. I am excited to be a member. I have already learned so much from this forum and I hope to be able to give back.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
J_W,
I'm gal you joined. Some of the wonderful things about this forum is we all have different life experiences that enable us to come up with different approaches to the challenges of meeting our tortoises needs. For me, the ideas I come up with I call, “Redneckery". It's great to have young minds here to help us ummm older members. Welcome buddy. When you have questions, don't be shy, ask.

*glad

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome jw and you have one nice looking tortoise.

J_W

Colorado
Cowboy_Ken said:
J_W,
I'm gal you joined. Some of the wonderful things about this forum is we all have different life experiences that enable us to come up with different approaches to the challenges of meeting our tortoises needs. For me, the ideas I come up with I call, “Redneckery". It's great to have young minds here to help us ummm older members. Welcome buddy. When you have questions, don't be shy, ask.

*glad

Thanks Cowboy Ken. I am a mechanic so I am no stranger to "Redneckery" lol. I'm glad that it has a place in the tortoise world too. :)

Thanks Mike, I am excited for all of the adventures ahead, good or bad ;).