Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
kirbybirby said:
Tom said:
That fixture is no good. You need one with a ceramic base to handle the heat generated by these reptile bulbs for 12-14 hours a day. Those plastic type ones always fail eventually and could actually start a fire. I have found them smoldering many times in the past, not to mention they will fry your expensive bulb. Ceramic based fixtures can be found at any hardware store for around $12.

Damn..... I REALLY didn't wanna spend $12 on a light fixture. It;s not plastic by the way. It's seems like aluminum. Oh well, I'll just save the handy little holder that's attached to it.

What about this one. It seems to be ceramic. (pictures attached) Only bad thing is, the on/off switch sticks all the time.

Actually, you want the base of the fixture (part that you screw bulb into) to be ceramic, like the link I posted earlier on this thread. The lamp part can be aluminum, or other kind of metal. The MVB's will melt anything but ceramic.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
:S Well, looks like I'll be putting those lights on CL along with a lot of my other aquatic turtle stuff... but thank you for the information! I really do appreciate it. But don't worry, if I have to nail the light thing to a piece of wood to make it stay there, I will.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Do you have the original packaging? Often you can return it, especially if you buy a new light.
Kudos for getting things right for your tort.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Do you have the original packaging? Often you can return it, especially if you buy a new light.

Nah, I bought all my stuff (except the light bulbs which I have already returned) at flea markets and yard sales. I got a nice half log thing, 2 water dishes and some other stuff for like $3 at a flea market haha.

But yeah, totally. I have to do my research this time before I get my RT. I already had a bad experience with my Red Sliders because I didn't do research (I thought they were land turtles before I got them, man did I learn my lesson).

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
kirbybirby said:
lynnedit said:

Nah, I bought all my stuff (except the light bulbs which I have already returned) at flea markets and yard sales. I got a nice half log thing, 2 water dishes and some other stuff for like $3 at a flea market haha.

But yeah, totally. I have to do my research this time before I get my RT. I already had a bad experience with my Red Sliders because I didn't do research (I thought they were land turtles before I got them, man did I learn my lesson).

There is a local flea market that sells the spotlight fixture that Tom mentioned (with the white ceramic rather then the black plastic) that holds upto 250 watt light bulbs for around $7.00 brand new. And you can use any size wattage light bulbs upto 250 watts. Those are the best ones. Dont ever have to worry about overloading it aslong as it not over 250 watts.

About the use of UVB or no UVB bulbs. I have used them off and on for over 20 years for all kinds of different species of reptiles indoors. And I have only noticed a difference in certain species of reptiles. I always used a good calcium with D3 with most of the feedings and its a must if not using a UVB lamp. But I can tell you there is a big difference that I noticed when using them. The reptiles with UVB and UVA exposure seems to be more active, has or keeps a better appetite, and just seems to help keep them in good health. Dont really have to be alot of uvb or uva but little seems to make a difference, imo. Now many have done really good without it but still there was that difference.

Btw, research is the best way to know what you need and have to do when it comes down to taking care of something. I do it all the time on just about anything and everything. Helps gain knowledge :D. Oh and one other thing, the webbed feet on the rear legs of those red-eared sliders did not give them away that they where water turtles? If you pick something up and not sure if its land dwelling or aquatic, just look at the feet ;)

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
Well, I'm just gonna have to buy the $12 light at petsmart or whatever and the powersun bulb.

I've got my container (will take a picture in a few days) and I just need to know what you guys think would work best as a substrate. Could I use just organic soil like in the picture with no sand and then do the mulch thing with the slate under the basking spot?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Organic topsoil works well. Make it a bit deeper in on spot for interest. Then you can use the slate under the basking light. If you want a couple of different substrates, then yes, you can use Cypress mulch around the basking light and water dish. Food dish should be near but not baked by the basking light, so they don't over heat when eating.
Look for dome light fixtures with a ceramic base also at Home Depot, or feed stores, as they will be less expensive than pet stores.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Organic topsoil works well. Make it a bit deeper in on spot for interest. Then you can use the slate under the basking light. If you want a couple of different substrates, then yes, you can use Cypress mulch around the basking light and water dish. Food dish should be near but not baked by the basking light, so they don't over heat when eating.
Look for dome light fixtures with a ceramic base also at Home Depot, or feed stores, as they will be less expensive than pet stores.

Okay cool, I'll just try the soil for now. Would it be okay for me to put a garbage bag or some sort of plastic thing under everything, that way when I go to empty it all out it'll be way easier.

And really? I've never seen those lamps at Home Depot.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You do want to make sure your enclosure is waterproofed with a rubber liner like a pond liner, or several coats of a water based sealer? Torts like to dig, so a garbage bag might not last.
Some people use shallower rubbermaid storage bins lined up (say, 6" deep) and then change each one out as needed. In this case, you could have to make your tort table fit the combined dimensions of the containers.
Otherwise, since you only need to fully change the substrate yearly, it isn't too much of an issue. You just spot clean, and can change out parts of the substrate as needed.
This is the kind of light fixture, not sure if all Home Depots or Lowes carry them, but many hardware stores will
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
You do want to make sure your enclosure is waterproofed with a rubber liner like a pond liner, or several coats of a water based sealer? Torts like to dig, so a garbage bag might not last.
Some people use shallower rubbermaid storage bins lined up (say, 6" deep) and then change each one out as needed. In this case, you could have to make your tort table fit the combined dimensions of the containers.
Otherwise, since you only need to fully change the substrate yearly, it isn't too much of an issue. You just spot clean, and can change out parts of the substrate as needed.
This is the kind of light fixture, not sure if all Home Depots or Lowes carry them, but many hardware stores will
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Well, I've got a pretty long rubber container so I'm not really worried about him digging through it or whatever. And I'll have another whole stand thing under it anyways. So I'm not too worried about that.

And oh.. it's $12 I'll just get the one at Petsmart then.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds good. Haven't checked prices there recently. Just make sure the fixture you get accommodates the 100w bulb (some of the smaller ones only go up to 60w).
Be sure to post pics!

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Sounds good. Haven't checked prices there recently. Just make sure the fixture you get accommodates the 100w bulb (some of the smaller ones only go up to 60w).
Be sure to post pics!

Okay ill see what i can come up with. And ill definitely post pictures. Hopefully this weekend.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
Heres the container. Its 21 inches by 36 inches. Im thinking of putting all soil in it for now maybe some cypress mulch also if it isn't expensive. I also have another container that's the exact same thing and if i can get creative enough ill make a double decker :D a two story type thing.

I forgot to mention that ill be making the sides higher with some wood maybe and then ill put a black liner of some sort inside the container so the little guy can't see through it.

Attachments

• 2011-11-18 15.45.27.jpg
    2011-11-18 15.45.27.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 24

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Hey, that looks fine for now. Before you get too tangled up with adding wood edges, etc., why don't you take the lid and cut out most of the middle so you can snap it back on and you have an EDGE to prevent him climbing out.
I just saw the first Christmas Tree Storage Box (plastic) of the season: GREAT tort enclosure, 48" long and nice and deep. $49 or so now, but watch them carefully and they will go on sale at or right after XMAS and you can pick one up cheap.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Hey, that looks fine for now. Before you get too tangled up with adding wood edges, etc., why don't you take the lid and cut out most of the middle so you can snap it back on and you have an EDGE to prevent him climbing out.
I just saw the first Christmas Tree Storage Box (plastic) of the season: GREAT tort enclosure, 48" long and nice and deep. $49 or so now, but watch them carefully and they will go on sale at or right after XMAS and you can pick on up cheap.

Oh wow that's a great idea :D good thing I have the lid. And yeah I'll definitely keep an eye on that one.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
I just thought of something else, I have this light right now: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752666

its a 50 watt one. however, it's only uvA not uvB. will that work? or do I absolutely need a uvb one? I can get it, I just need to order it from amazon or whatever. (that powersun one). just trying to save some money here and make do with what I have.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you can keep your tort outside part of the year (6 months?), you can get by with even just a basking light. However, if your torts will be inside most of the year, you probably have to spring for the Powersun MVB (UVB/UVA/Heat) bulb.
Now if you want to save up for it and delay getting it for a month, that would be OK. As long as the tort has light and warmth.
I wish they were less expensive...

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
If you can keep your tort outside part of the year (6 months?), you can get by with even just a basking light. However, if your torts will be inside most of the year, you probably have to spring for the Powersun MVB (UVB/UVA/Heat) bulb.
Now if you want to save up for it and delay getting it for a month, that would be OK. As long as the tort has light and warmth.
I wish they were less expensive...

Well it's winter here now so I can't really take him outside, unless it suddenly goes up to 70ish again like it did the other day... But the money isn't really my problem, well it kind of is. It's more of, the wait for the bulb to be shipped. I've got the money. Will he be fine for like a week or two with just that uva/basking bulb? And do you know where I can find that MVB bulb cheaper than $40?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's about the normal price, or a bit better, as far as I know. He will be fine until you receive it in the mail.
Sounds like your tort can go outside part of the year too, which they seem to love!

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
That's about the normal price, or a bit better, as far as I know. He will be fine until you receive it in the mail.
Sounds like your tort can go outside part of the year too, which they seem to love!

Okay cool! And oh yeah ill have him out there every day in the summer! I live on two acres so there's some room for him :p

Status
Not open for further replies.