growth differences in same conditions

SuperSue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Worried about the difference in my 4.5 year old to my 7.5 year old. They have both been brought up in the same conditions had since babies, high humidity, temps of 38, on hot side, have open access 4foot x 2foot home, bath daily, spray home for extra humidity. Using 150 watt combi.
Younger/paler one eats for england, eats lots of chalk & cuttle as her daily routine.
older one/darker not a big eater knows his own fill. never touches chalk.
Worried that my younger one has started to pyramid just going to make a humidity hide, has anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks Sue xDSC_0206.JPGIMG_0131.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Totally normal. They just grow differently, even when they are siblings from the same clutch. Must be genetics and other factors. I have one that is 6 months old and is the same size as my two born in October. And its sibling, is three times bigger than him. What? So cray-cray how they do that. Just keep on keeping on with right temps, hydration and a variety of foods,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The first pic shows almost no pyramiding. You should be proud of that accomplishment. The other one is pyramiding a bit.

This can be due to behavioral things, like where one hangs out. For example the smaller more pyramided one hangs out under the light more, and the larger smoother one hangs out in more humid areas of the enclosure or drinks more. Or it can be due to the stress of being kept in a pair. Or it could be due to how the hatchlings were started before you got them. Those first few weeks are critical. And it could be due to genetics.

SuperSue

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you for the replies as long as its not something i am doing wrong, they are fed weeds & rocket, graze when go outside, as in UK thats not as often as one likes. She has doubled he size in 12 months though.
even though housed together they do their own thing and never interfere with each other other than when i hand feeding bigger one, little comes over and wants what he is eating. will see how she goes after putting in a humidity den.

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
Tom said:
The first pic shows almost no pyramiding. You should be proud of that accomplishment. The other one is pyramiding a bit.

This can be due to behavioral things, like where one hangs out. For example the smaller more pyramided one hangs out under the light more, and the larger smoother one hangs out in more humid areas of the enclosure or drinks more. Or it can be due to the stress of being kept in a pair. Or it could be due to how the hatchlings were started before you got them. Those first few weeks are critical. And it could be due to genetics.

All makes sense to me Tom, except regarding stress. You theorize stress affects pyramiding soley based on stress hormones of some kind? If so, how could you possibly have figured that out?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've raised some groups where they all get exactly the same thing and some pyramid more than others. What I find most interesting is that most tortoise folks associate fast growth with pyramiding and and unhealthy shell. In fact, my worst pyramiders have always been the slowest growers.

There are too many variables to state this as fact. It is an "educated guess" of mine based on observations and raising of 100's of hatchlings of several species in a variety of settings. So admittedly, this is speculation on my part, but I have seen enough to convince me that stress can sometimes be a factor in pyramiding.

This can also frequently be seen when tortoises are kept in pairs. Take note the next time someone joins the forum with a pair. Often the smaller of the two is also the more pyramided. I'm sure exceptions can be found, but this is generally the case.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The point of the behavior of the tortoises like Tom said (one hanging out under heat lamp more, one in more humid areas) seems to make a lot of sense. Of course, I've never raised leopard tortoises. It just seems to make sense.

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
Tom said:
I've raised some groups where they all get exactly the same thing and some pyramid more than others. What I find most interesting is that most tortoise folks associate fast growth with pyramiding and and unhealthy shell. In fact, my worst pyramiders have always been the slowest growers.

There are too many variables to state this as fact. It is an "educated guess" of mine based on observations and raising of 100's of hatchlings of several species in a variety of settings. So admittedly, this is speculation on my part, but I have seen enough to convince me that stress can sometimes be a factor in pyramiding.

This can also frequently be seen when tortoises are kept in pairs. Take note the next time someone joins the forum with a pair. Often the smaller of the two is also the more pyramided. I'm sure exceptions can be found, but this is generally the case.

Very cool. I see.