Dry conditions = death

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I'm very sorry for your loss. I had two cats that my mom had had for years before I was born, and I grew up with both of them. One was name oscar, who was white, and Matilda (boy who my mom thought was a girl, and only found out after he knew his name) who was black. They used to play with each other every day. Then, while we were getting ready to move from Irving to Lewisville (Texas), Oscar got a really bad tooth infection. We had always noticed that his mouth stank way worse than Matilda's, but we didn't know it was unhealthy until it was too late. In his last week he was fed lots of meat babyfood, sardines, and the wateriest catfood we could find, even having to feed him out of a syringe because he wouldn't eat. When my mom brought him to the vet, she would have put him down, but it was my sisters birthday. He died that week at the age of 15. Matilda, on the otherhand, lasted about six more months. He was so old, and he snuggled with me every night, but that changed when we were moving. I insisted that we bring him to our new house so he could be at at his brothers funeral the week after he died. We got there, and we were about to burry him, but my dad couldn't find a spot of dirt soft enough to stick a shovel in the ground. My parents refused to bring Matilda back to the house we were moving out of. About a month later, we finally moved to our new house in Lewisville. My parents wouldn't let him sleep with me anymore because they didn't want him to throw up on the new carpet in my room. I did, however, sneak him in a few times when they weren't home. We had a small room we kept him in, but we never really let him out. A few months later, I started letting him out everyday, sitting with him on the couch. My parents were reluctant, because he was "scratching up the new leather couch we haven't finished paying for". A week later, my mom told me that I should go check on Matilda, because he wasn't doing so well, and these might be his final days. I went into his room and saw him laying on his bead. "Aww, he's sleeping!", I thought. "He's defiantly sleeping." "Wait.. No, he's just sleeping." "He's not sleeping." The realization came to me like a shard of ice in my chest. My parents didn't believe me when I said he had fleas and ticks, despite him being covered in flea dirt, and him having no hair on is arms and legs from the constant itching and scratching. I finally proved it to them when all of the blood filled ticks fled his body. We baried him along with oscar, our two hermit crabs, a squirrel (long story) and a can of tuna I had planned to bury Oscar with. Matilda had died the day before school started again from winter break on January 3rd, 2016. What made it even sadder, is that he was 19, and I always just knew he would make it to 20. Atually, his birthday is sometime this week. He was my best friend, and what made it worse is that I had to go to school the next day. This story is exactly why I got a tortoise. I wanted a pet that could outlive me, so I wouldn't have to mourn it's death. The sadness of a death will never be gone forever, but it does subside a bit. Just know that, through it all, your tortoise will always be with you.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I'm sorry for your loss. I completely understand. I experienced the same problem with my tortoise last week. He suddenly stopped eating and seemed very interested in digging a burrow. I had had him since a hatchling and he did not have any pyramiding. I live in Florida and he was in an outside enclosure and I did soak him regularly. He grazed on grass and weeds in my yard and I also offered a regular plate of greens and miscellaneous vegetables like carrots and cactus. I also have 2 other sulcatas without any issues. I took him to the vet at University of Florida,; However, it was too late. He had a very large bladder stone, kidney failure and was impacted. I have racked my brain wondering if there was something I was doing or not doing. It is terribly sad. I separated the other two so that I could keep a better eye on their health, as far as urinating and defecating.
Weird!!! somebody please explain this. @Tom you should conduct an experiment again concern about bladder stone.
In my opinion, if hatchling have bladder stone, and with our good care, the stone should remain the size and not getting bigger. it is the matter of time when the stone will come out itself when the tort bigger. but in this thread my opinion is a big big wrong.
Frustated.

cheetahdoglover

Today is my birthday!
My tortoise was 7 years old. He would have needed surgery once he was stable. He died overnight at the vet. I just knew he wasn't eating; I found out about the kidney failure after the blood work was processed. I was completely shocked because it had only been a couple of weeks since my turtle peed on me while I was holding him. I honestly thought he was impacted...he was but it was due to the bladder stone. The ultrasound of my tortoise looked very similar to the one being shown on this thread, expect mine was located kinda behind rear leg. If you Google bladder stone in tortoises you can find blow by blow pics of one being removed by a vet in CA. It is very useful information.