humidity for 1 yr old

sopo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So Central OK
So what is the perfect enclosure that can be purchased besides a tote. I know Savi loves looking out the glass 'windows' and interacting. I picked the exo terra instead of an aquarium because of being able to open the front doors to feed, get her out for soaks etc w/out having to remove all the lighting from the top. Did anyone get a chance to see the pic I posted? What do you think about it? It's 48" across so would have room to put the lights on one side and be able to open the top on the other?

Attachments

• 00F0F_7G6ck20QrW5_600x450.jpg
    00F0F_7G6ck20QrW5_600x450.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can hire a local handyman to build what you need.

I've never used an enclosure like the one in your pic, but as long as the lights are inside and the top is mostly closed, it seems like it would work.

sopo

5 Year Member
So Central OK
ok thanks. Unfortunately, the local handyman isn't an option right now

Last edited:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How close are your bulbs to the top of his shell?

If in fact your humidity readings are as you've described and are consistent, I'm having a hard time concluding that the amount of pyramiding you're seeing is due to not enough humidity. I hope you dont mind more questions, but Id like more information to help you out. How often did you take humidity readings? Have you moved the probe to different areas in the enclosure to make sure the humidity is consistent throughout the enclosure?

Also, I'm interested in the diet you're providing your tortoise. You mentioned it was primarily grocery greens, do you offer cactus, weeds or leaves? If so how often? Do you use any type of supplements?

sopo

5 Year Member
So Central OK
I leave the humidity thermometer in all the time and do change it's positions some. It's a 12" habitat. I have ordered the thermostat control, the CHE as well as a new uvb uva bulb just to be safe. I am guessing the the che, I won't need the blacklight any longer. I am thinking that what you're saying about the regular heat lamp bulb bearing down on her might be the culprit. She does have a hidey house that is thick plastic and not see through that she goes in and digs down in the substrate in some but she also spends a lot of time on her ceramic tile directly under the basking bulb. She has a cuttlebone she chews on every now and then. I feed a combination of 2 types of spring mix. I've tried other things and she is picky. No other supplements.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
I leave the humidity thermometer in all the time and do change it's positions some. It's a 12" habitat. I have ordered the thermostat control, the CHE as well as a new uvb uva bulb just to be safe. I am guessing the the che, I won't need the blacklight any longer. I am thinking that what you're saying about the regular heat lamp bulb bearing down on her might be the culprit. She does have a hidey house that is thick plastic and not see through that she goes in and digs down in the substrate in some but she also spends a lot of time on her ceramic tile directly under the basking bulb. She has a cuttlebone she chews on every now and then. I feed a combination of 2 types of spring mix. I've tried other things and she is picky. No other supplements.

It could likely be that the ambient temps are a bit low in the rest of the enclosure; I rarely see mine basking directly under the bulb, which can greatly contribute to pyramiding.

It can take time for them to start eating new things once they are used to a particular thing(s); try to gradually mix in small amounts and be patient.

sopo

5 Year Member
So Central OK
I have moved the thermometer around quite a bit the past few days. Just to the side of the basking tile, the humidity is still ok. However, putting it right in the center of the tile directly under the basking bulb, it goes down quite a bit so looks like that's a big part of the problem. The light is on top of the screen... of a 12" tall enclosure. If I get the CHE set up, will it still suck the humidity out or does it prevent that from happening? It's on the way.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
A CHE will dry out humidity directly underneath just like a light.
It's not supposed to be something they "bask under" but something that supplies heat for the entire area.

The other poster was referring to your temps not humidity levels.
Your temperatures might be too low elsewhere if he spends a lot of time basking under a light. When my temps are good, I also didn't see them directly under lights very often. It was usually first thing in the morning only.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
The other poster was referring to your temps not humidity levels.
Your temperatures might be too low elsewhere if he spends a lot of time basking under a light. When my temps are good, I also didn't see them directly under lights very often. It was usually first thing in the morning only.

Yeah, the indoor morning routine/tortoise thought process is something like:

"The light just kicked on...I'm kind of waking up" --- >"My owner just misted me in my sleeping box, he probably brought me food" ---> "It's time to walk out towards the food bowl" ---> "Hey, I'm not totally warmed up yet, I think I will pause here under this hot thing for about 30 seconds" ---> "Warm up complete, off to the food bowl :)"

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Where did you get that habitat? I looks like the ferret habitat we have at Petco. If so the top has a ton of openings. I'd suggest using plexiglass to co er the holes.