Grieving my yearling

Mollie McFarland

My baby, Nebuchadnezzar, died in an accident this weekend. He just turned a year old. I was sitting on my lawn while he grazed on Saturday and he strayed into my driveway. I didn't realize that my fiancé was about to back out in his car. Nebuchadnezzar and I were in his blind spot because we were obscured by a bush and so close to the ground. I was by his side when it happened, but too slow to stop the car. He was gone in an instant. I'm overcome with guilt and grief. I can't believe I let this happen. I've been careful to research husbandry and doing my best to bring him up to be a healthy, happy life-long companion. I just wanted to share my guilt and sorrow with fellow tortoise keepers. I want to do something to help other tortoises and honor my baby's memories. Please, love on your shelled family members for me today. I am so sad.

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
So sorry to hear about the sad accident that happened. It must have been awful being right there and not able to stop it. We know you loved your Nebuchadnezzar and will miss him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My baby, Nebuchadnezzar, died in an accident this weekend. He just turned a year old. I was sitting on my lawn while he grazed on Saturday and he strayed into my driveway. I didn't realize that my fiancé was about to back out in his car. Nebuchadnezzar and I were in his blind spot because we were obscured by a bush and so close to the ground. I was by his side when it happened, but too slow to stop the car. He was gone in an instant. I'm overcome with guilt and grief. I can't believe I let this happen. I've been careful to research husbandry and doing my best to bring him up to be a healthy, happy life-long companion. I just wanted to share my guilt and sorrow with fellow tortoise keepers. I want to do something to help other tortoises and honor my baby's memories. Please, love on your shelled family members for me today. I am so sad.

I'm very sorry this happened. I tell everyone to keep their tortoise in an enclosure and most people argue with me, telling them how carefully they watch and that nothing is going to happen… until it does.

I linked this info to you in your intro post. I guess you didn't read it…
Its right here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Number 13.

I will use this post as a reference when people argue about this. At least this might help save someone else's tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sorry to hear about that please accept my condolences

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My deepest condolences!❤️ These things unfortunately happen. My very dear friend killed one of her baby goats while backing out her car leaving for work, and couple of years ago a father did this same thing with his 2 yr old toddler son (think that was in Georgia). Horrible, tragic accidents do happen. My heart is very sad for you and I hope you start healing soon