Devastated.

autumn_0201

Location (City and/or State)
Kuantan
My baby didn’t come to the back door for a special snack as he usually does. I got caught up and didn’t check on him until around noon when I usually bring him in due to heat. He wasn’t in his burrow.

I found him upside down and dead. My broken-down cardboard boxes unwedged from behind a wheelbarrow and fell over due to a windstorm last night. He must have climbed on them and tipped over.

I’m so unbelievably devastated and full of guilt. He was my baby. He came when called. He never got scared with our kids. He would stick all the way out to do “nose bumps.” He was so amazing and didn’t deserve what happened to him.

I’m a wreak. My older kids come home from Summer break and I can’t even fathom having this talk with them. Thankful for my neighbors who helped come bury him for me. I don’t know what I’m looking for other than being able to express my deep sorrow. ????View attachment 328464

I am very sorry for your loss. We can never keep them long enough! Wishing you comfort and peace during this difficult time.

nicoleann2214

NY
My baby didn’t come to the back door for a special snack as he usually does. I got caught up and didn’t check on him until around noon when I usually bring him in due to heat. He wasn’t in his burrow.

I found him upside down and dead. My broken-down cardboard boxes unwedged from behind a wheelbarrow and fell over due to a windstorm last night. He must have climbed on them and tipped over.

I’m so unbelievably devastated and full of guilt. He was my baby. He came when called. He never got scared with our kids. He would stick all the way out to do “nose bumps.” He was so amazing and didn’t deserve what happened to him.

I’m a wreak. My older kids come home from Summer break and I can’t even fathom having this talk with them. Thankful for my neighbors who helped come bury him for me. I don’t know what I’m looking for other than being able to express my deep sorrow. ????View attachment 328464
I’m sorry for your loss!!

Unkapunka

Osage City
So sorry to find your tort like that. I think it helps to know that other people have had this same thing happen and they feel your pain. People that don't own a tort will never know the loss of one.

Thundersnow

Kentucky

I am so deeply sorry for your loss.Your sweet lil doll is now your guardian angel. Father missed him and wanted him back but He always gives us new ones to love and love us back<3

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. Yesterday I lost one of the turtles I've had the longest, about 19 years. On Tuesday night a possum or something chewed through the chicken wire that covered the turtle pen and chewed off three of his legs as well as his tail. I hoped that he would survive but it wasn't in the cards.
Teamzassou, OMG, I'm so sorry to hear of how you lost your young'n. I can only imagine the terror that poor creature was experiencing, and then to pass. My heart goes out to you....

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.

Aw'ww such a tragedy, try as we might, sometimes things just happen. We try our best to look out for our 4 legged kids. I lost my "Gigantor" last November, due to health issues, while our kids died in different ways, IT STILL HURTS. My heart goes out to you, your family and the poor lil one. I hope you will be able to forgive yourself. Now you have to LOVE him in your heart...thank god for memories...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

What an awful accident. Think of it as a random event that is absolutely not your fault, as you loved him and did all you could for him, and it happened anyway. Try to grit it out and get another one ASAP, especially for yourself AND the kids...you will all come to love the other one too, and have learned as you go along. Thank you for your love and care as far as it went. Cheer up!

Dandelion_@_

New Hampshire
Sorry for your loss.

I hope you and others reading learn something from this. I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million more times to try and prevent tragedies like yours: Tortoises need to be in a safe, well designed, tortoise enclosure. Not loose in the yard or loose in the house. They should not be sharing space with human activities or other animals. People often get defensive, argumentative, and often leave the forum in a huff. I hope they read this thread and decide otherwise. I hope that some good can come from your terrible loss, and other tortoises can be saved before its too late.
Not arguing with you one bit here: is there a general rule of thumb about how to limit the risks of them flipping unnoticed? I've found my Hermann's upside down a couple times and righted him. His pen is flat (despite your recommendations for more interesting terrain...) because I worry about this very thing of flipping over. If there's a design element that can be incorporated to reduce the risk I'd love to learn

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not arguing with you one bit here: is there a general rule of thumb about how to limit the risks of them flipping unnoticed? I've found my Hermann's upside down a couple times and righted him. His pen is flat (despite your recommendations for more interesting terrain...) because I worry about this very thing of flipping over. If there's a design element that can be incorporated to reduce the risk I'd love to learn
Large pens that are heavily planted with lots of sight barriers and areas to hide tend to reduce the likelihood. The more open and exposed they feel, the more determined they are to try to find an escape route and end up on their back. Males in springtime are often wandering for a different reason. Over head ledges on the walls and capped corners help prevent flipping in that situation.

I have an occasional hatchling flip, but I've never had an adult of any species outside flip.

Robivens

Columbus Ohio

So sorry for your loss.

Dandelion_@_

New Hampshire
Large pens that are heavily planted with lots of sight barriers and areas to hide tend to reduce the likelihood. The more open and exposed they feel, the more determined they are to try to find an escape route and end up on their back. Males in springtime are often wandering for a different reason. Over head ledges on the walls and capped corners help prevent flipping in that situation.

I have an occasional hatchling flip, but I've never had an adult of any species outside flip.
Excellent advice, thank you!

Dandelion_@_

New Hampshire

Thank you. That makes sense.