Devastated.

MamaTawn

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My baby didn’t come to the back door for a special snack as he usually does. I got caught up and didn’t check on him until around noon when I usually bring him in due to heat. He wasn’t in his burrow.

I found him upside down and dead. My broken-down cardboard boxes unwedged from behind a wheelbarrow and fell over due to a windstorm last night. He must have climbed on them and tipped over.

I’m so unbelievably devastated and full of guilt. He was my baby. He came when called. He never got scared with our kids. He would stick all the way out to do “nose bumps.” He was so amazing and didn’t deserve what happened to him.

I’m a wreak. My older kids come home from Summer break and I can’t even fathom having this talk with them. Thankful for my neighbors who helped come bury him for me. I don’t know what I’m looking for other than being able to express my deep sorrow. ????18A034B0-5D6B-42E7-85D1-93F3796FA04A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
My baby didn’t come to the back door for a special snack as he usually does. I got caught up and didn’t check on him until around noon when I usually bring him in due to heat. He wasn’t in his burrow.

I found him upside down and dead. My broken-down cardboard boxes unwedged from behind a wheelbarrow and fell over due to a windstorm last night. He must have climbed on them and tipped over.

I’m so unbelievably devastated and full of guilt. He was my baby. He came when called. He never got scared with our kids. He would stick all the way out to do “nose bumps.” He was so amazing and didn’t deserve what happened to him.

I’m a wreak. My older kids come home from Summer break and I can’t even fathom having this talk with them. Thankful for my neighbors who helped come bury him for me. I don’t know what I’m looking for other than being able to express my deep sorrow. ????View attachment 328464
I am so sorry. This is a very tough weekend for you & another TF owner. Best wishes to you & your family.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I am so very sorry for your loss. Be gentle with yourself. Tragedies happen. I will be holding you and your family close to my heart.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That happened to me too several years ago. I bought a hatchling Manouria emys phayreii from Vic Morgan in Florida and raised her up to about 50lbs. One day I went out to their yard and she was upside down in the sun, dead. You feel so helpless. ". . . if only I. . ."

I'm so very sorry you've lost your little sulcata. This is a hard one to have to bear. Thank goodness you have some really nice pictures to remember him by. I especially love the picture of the little girl and the greens.

ReiGuy

NJ

I’m a wreak. My older kids come home from Summer break and I can’t even fathom having this talk with them. Thankful for my neighbors who helped come bury him for me. I don’t know what I’m looking for other than being able to express my deep sorrow. ????View attachment 328464
I'm so sorry for your loss ?<3

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. Yesterday I lost one of the turtles I've had the longest, about 19 years. On Tuesday night a possum or something chewed through the chicken wire that covered the turtle pen and chewed off three of his legs as well as his tail. I hoped that he would survive but it wasn't in the cards.

MamaTawn

Arizona
Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. Yesterday I lost one of the turtles I've had the longest, about 19 years. On Tuesday night a possum or something chewed through the chicken wire that covered the turtle pen and chewed off three of his legs as well as his tail. I hoped that he would survive but it wasn't in the cards.
I am so sorry! It’s never easy especially when you tried everything to keep them safe. Freak accidents happen, but it still hurts! Hugs.

MamaTawn

Arizona
That happened to me too several years ago. I bought a hatchling Manouria emys phayreii from Vic Morgan in Florida and raised her up to about 50lbs. One day I went out to their yard and she was upside down in the sun, dead. You feel so helpless. ". . . if only I. . ."

I'm so very sorry you've lost your little sulcata. This is a hard one to have to bear. Thank goodness you have some really nice pictures to remember him by. I especially love the picture of the little girl and the greens.
Thank you for your kind words. I am sorry you have felt the same pain. You’re right, so many “if only’s” … “I should haves.” To make it worse my husband is out of town for work so sleeping was rough for me last night. So many moments waking up in a panic and then the reality ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry for your loss.

I hope you and others reading learn something from this. I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million more times to try and prevent tragedies like yours: Tortoises need to be in a safe, well designed, tortoise enclosure. Not loose in the yard or loose in the house. They should not be sharing space with human activities or other animals. People often get defensive, argumentative, and often leave the forum in a huff. I hope they read this thread and decide otherwise. I hope that some good can come from your terrible loss, and other tortoises can be saved before its too late.