Greetings from Portland

503Tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
pORtland
Hello,
My name is Steve, I'm 23 from Portland, OR. Adopted a Russian Tortoise from my Dad's renter last summer (he got evicted and couldn't take it with him). The man I got him from actually found him outside a 7-11 in a box stating "Free". Anyway, he was jokingly named "Soup" and the name stuck. I've had him in a huge Rubbermaid tub with a UVA/UVB light from October until a few weeks ago since he wouldn't survive the wet Pacific Northwest's fall/winter. However, two summers ago, he escaped his outdoor box somehow, dug down and hibernated. The following March the previous owner's dog found him in the yard. He sustained some minor shell rot being in such damp soil but all is well now and he is only left with some scarring on his shell. Soup is a trooper and has quite the friendly personality. I'm proud to own him now and will definitely keep him for good.

Last month I built him an outdoor enclosure and my Girlfriend's parents were kind enough to let me put it in their backyard since I live in an apartment. They seem even more excited/concerned for him than I am hah!

Soup's Summer Home:

2ch6ro8.jpg

rab191.jpg

He loves it. Explores much of the day and tucks into his den at night. He's trampled the Petunias and eaten the Marigolds so I plan to replace those with something else and maybe add a plant or two. Only cost me about $150 since I used the 2x6's from my Dad's old deck.

I vacationed in Honolulu last week and my Girlfriend and I decided to go to the zoo one morning since I heard they had some Tortoises. Was extremely cool seeing the Galapagos Tortoises up close! If they were active it would have been incredible but I did not expect them to be that big. My girlfriend teased me the entire day at how I childishly shouted "WOW!" when I first spotted them.

Here's a few pics I snapped:

okq39l.jpg

s2u0qs.jpg

Looking forward to frequenting this site.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.
I love the name soup, even if it is a little ominous.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) great pictures :) Russians are awesome

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Steve welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russians are a lot of fun . Have a great tort day :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome Steve, from another PNW'er. Heck fire. You're in P-town? We're neighbors as it were. At some point this summer we'll all of us PNW'ers will need to get together. Welcome to the forum. How'd you find it?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* Hi and welcome. :) I love the name Soup. Glad you have joined us.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steve, and welcome to the Forum!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

503Tortoise

5 Year Member
pORtland
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

@ Cowboy_Ken: Found this site when I first acquired Soup, answered some questions I had. And yes indeed, born and raised in SE Portland.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome. Thank you for sharing those picture in Hawaii zoo. You did a wonderful job of building that outdoor enclosure for soup. it looks really good.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey there...welcome from Corvallis! I think Cowboy Ken should throw a barbecue for all us PNW'ers, some could come down from Washington and up from Medford, maybe we could make it a welcome to Medford party for Heather as well. I'm in and I make a great potato salad!
You'll see a lot of pictures of Galapagos and Aldabrans here on the forum, our keepers are numerous and varied...

503Tortoise

5 Year Member
pORtland
Hello and welcome. Thank you for sharing those picture in Hawaii zoo. You did a wonderful job of building that outdoor enclosure for soup. it looks really good.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I really enjoyed making it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I think Cowboy Ken should throw a barbecue for all us PNW'ers, maybe we could make it a welcome to Medford party for Heather as well. I'm in and I make a great potato salad!.
Something worth considering. Maggie has dibs on the guest room. With the PBR no longer hosting events up here, we no longer have our summer weekend bash. Folks could camp out here at the ranch. I make a good chili,(for a white kid from L. A. )! We could potentially set it up when a local show takes place and go from there.

M

Maggie Cummings

Something worth considering. Maggie has dibs on the guest room. With the PBR no longer hosting events up here, we no longer have our summer weekend bash. Folks could camp out here at the ranch. I make a good chili,(for a white kid from L. A. )! We could potentially set it up when a local show takes place and go from there.

Sounds like more fun then I have had in a loooong time...