Greetings from New York!

Hawksbill

Location (City and/or State)
Fishkill, NY
Hi everybody! My name is Matthew, and I'm about to get a baby Russian tortoise in a couple of days. I live in an apartment in Fishkill, NY but I bought a couple of ZooMed tortoise houses and put them together so I've got a nice 2' x 6' enclosure set up and I'm hoping that will keep my tortoise happy. I've been spending the past week or so getting everything ready, and I think I'm just about there.

In my preparations I've been doing a lot of google searching and almost every time I keep finding myself back here so I figured it would be a good idea to make an account and introduce myself. I was so surprised to see an active community dedicated just to tortoises and I'm excited to know it exists. It's been an invaluable resource thus far. So thanks for the help I've already received, and thanks in advance for any future help :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) This is the best place to get the correct info needed to raise your so to be new shelled family member. Lots of sites out there are old, have outdated bad info, unfortunately.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Matthew and Welcome. Good to have you here. Soon you will find out this is a great place to learn and share.

Welcome.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Mathew welcome to the TFO from AZ . You are going to stick around to help those people that need some help like you did ? have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Matthew!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Hawksbill

Fishkill, NY
Hello Mathew welcome to the TFO from AZ . You are going to stick around to help those people that need some help like you did ? have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

If there's anything I can do to help a fellow tortoise enthusiast I'll be happy to help, rest assured!

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me!

Hawksbill

Fishkill, NY
Speaking of introductions, let me introduce Copernicus. I'm thinking of calling him Copper for short, and if he turns out to be a she then I'll probably change it to Noelle. Just got him this morning!

I gave him a soak first-thing, and after a little shyness he had a drink and walked around his little tub. Then after exploring his new home for a bit I tried to introduce him to his food dish but he tried to take a bite out of the dish itself and moved on, but once I put a leaf down in front of him he gladly ate it up. I was so relieved to see him eat and drink right away. I was afraid he might need more time to acclimate but so far he looks happy and healthy :)

Copper1.jpg Copper2.jpg

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
hello and welcome from Massachusetts. I also have a Russian (not as a baby though), you'll love having him around!
One little thing I notice that may be worth sharing, instead of a petstore food dish you can use a nice cheap unglazed terracotta saucer used under potted plants for food, they're much cheaper, many sizes available and help keep the beak from growing too long. This is also good for water (since I don't know what you're using for water.)
best of luck, and welcome!