New From New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

timiscute

5 Year Member
Hello everyone. I've always been into turtles and tortoises as a kid and now I'm considering a pet tortoise. I've seen online that a Hermann's Tortoise is basically a good one for a first timer. Please let me know where to find more information about what species to get and indoor care.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
timiscute said:
Please let me know where to find more information about what species to get and indoor care.

Looks like you came to the right spot already! I don't know much about Hermann's but it's only a matter of time before someone that does will come along! Welcome & can't wait to find out what you decide to get!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Ok gotcha. Not too far away. I used to work at the nuke plant.

timiscute said:
I live in westchester right now. Originally from long island.

timiscute

5 Year Member
Cool. So what's a good kind of tortoise for a first timer? And is it difficult to build your own enclosure? AND do you know where I could buy a tortoise? Buying online seems a little weird....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Russians are a good starter tortoise they are hardy and can with stand beginner mistakes easier (no offense) as for buying one well there are pet stores, we do have a lot of breeders here, and the other option is a reptile expo.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
timiscute said:
Cool. So what's a good kind of tortoise for a first timer? And is it difficult to build your own enclosure? AND do you know where I could buy a tortoise? Buying online seems a little weird....

You could rescue a tort from the long island tortoise rescue, that's all I no of in long island or you could research reptile stores in your area.

Amanda1

5 Year Member
Plainfield, IN
I'm not good at building things, but many of the others on the forum seem to be pretty handy and I'm sure they could give you tips. I've got my Russian in a Zoo Med Tortoise House, which is kind of similar to a tort table from what I understand. You can find it online, and it's great for smaller torts. I think most people recommend you give them more space (it's only 2' x 3'), but I just get mine out for exercise every day. She loves to go on her little walks around the apartment.

If you want to adopt, try petfinder.com (that's where I found mine) and craigslist, or the tortoise rescue that was mentioned.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Hey there!! Welcome to the forum! You picked a really good place to land, and hang out. There is a ton of info on here. I as well am new and am purchasing some Hermann's. I can actually recommend a really good person to go to, if you need to find some info on them. His name is Ken, and goes by the screen name emydidman on the forums. He has all sorts of really useful knowledge on making an enclosure, feeding, and even had some really beautiful torts right now. I'm not sure if I am allowed to refer specific people like that, but I found him personally to be most helpful in that specific tort. I also found the enclosures threads to be super useful. You can check out the newest ideas of tort keeping and ask specific people questions about their specific set ups and care. Most everyone I have talked to on the forums are really cool, and super experienced in keeping and breeding. We are all here because of one burning passion, tortoises. And everyone here is like a giant family, they all care about everybody's animal welfare, and because of that, share whatever they learn to make it easier and safer to be the best tort keeper you can. Anyway, welcome again, and have fun :D

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Hello timiscute nice to meet you and welcome. I'm also from New York too but I'm just a little further more upstate! well the advise i can give you as far as for what type of tortoise you should get, well lets see for beginners you have the Russian Tortoises which are pretty neat those you can get in any petco store except in New Jersey they don't sell tortoises there! some crazy law they have! But in New York they usually have them in the petco's around or even a pet smart and there usually at a pretty decent price and you would defiantly be doing one a favor because their usually cramped up in some small tank! I'm pretty sure one would love a nice home to go to! or you can go for the Herman's there both pretty neat animals! as far as Enclosures go a nice home for your new tortoise or tortoises there's a product on the market called a Rubber maid stock tank pretty cheap and lots of room for a tortoise or two this Enclosure you can get on line for about $79.00 and that has lots of room! "goggle" it ( its called a fifty gallon Rubber maid stock tank ) well wish you luck and the best! hope to hear from you soon see ya around, good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi timiscute:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

Take a look through our "for sale" or "sold" section and get the names of some of our members who sell the type of tortoise you are interested in. There are several breeders on the east coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.