Greenhouse or Shed for our Cherries as a winter enclosure? Please vote and give your opinions.

Shed or Greenhouse for the cherries winter enclosure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Well, it's come to that time where our Cherryheads Dale, Ruby and Eddie have grown too big for our house. We have now moved them out of our boys room and out of our kitchen (my family is thrilled) and have them outside for the summer. We now have to decide what they will be living in this winter. I know of people who have some of theirs in greenhouses and some in sheds. I'm not sure what we should invest our money into for them so I'd like your opinions. Do you think that a greenhouse with heat emitters or pig blankets would be warm enough for them by chance our winter in California gets cold or do you think a shed would make a better option? Here are some recent pictures of our cherries. The first picture is Dale and he's about 9 years old. We bought him from a pet store, but I've found out that he's probably had been shipped over here from Brazil. The second picture is of Ruby. She's 5 years old and she is one of Tyler Stewart's tortoise offspring. The third one is Little Eddie. We now know that he is a she, but so far I haven't changed the name. I'm not sure what to change it to. Eddie is one of Douglas Beard's tortoise offspring and she is 4 1/2 years old and is bigger than Ruby. So I have two females for Dale and he will be one happy camper as soon as the girls are old enough to be with him.
DSCN3873.JPG DSCN3855.JPG DSCN3857.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If needed a shed will be much easier and less costly to heat. If well insulated, will also give a cooler place for them to retreat too when is very hot.
Check out some of N2TORTS threads and enclosures. He also is in the process of building a new one. He too lives in Cali and raises RF of all kinds.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Boy, Dale has grown! :) I would vote for a shed, unless your really wanting to also keep plants in it. The greenhouse (which I would love to have) will be pretty hot during the summer months. What I would really do, is make a combo shed and greenhouse.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yes, I have seen Jeff's enclosures before. I think I need to hire him to make me one. :D I'll have to look at his new one that he's building. Yes Jacqui, Dale has grown although I do believe that Eddie is bigger and heavier than him now. :eek: She is a big girl. Good idea about the combo shed/greenhouse.