Can Dale be put with Ruby and Little Eddie now since they've been raised apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Well it's been a while since I've been on here. I've been raising puppies and have been really busy with them. I've been wondering for a while now whether I can put Dale, Ruby and Little Eddie in the pen outside together. Dale is about 8 years old now and Ruby and Eddie are around 3 and 4 years old. Ruby and Eddie have been raised together but separate from Dale. The other day I put them into Dale's enclosure to see what would happen and I watched. Ruby and Eddie started walking towards Dale and he started to back up until they had him trapped in the corner so I removed them both. This morning I had my son Alexander put all of them in the dog run and when I went out a little later I heard that familiar sound that tortoises make and Dale's head bobbing up and down in front of Eddie. I left and came back a few minutes later to find Dale on top of Eddie. I then separated them from each other thinking that Dale is trying to dominate Eddie. I know that Dale is a male but still don't know what Ruby and Eddie are. I'd love to hear your opinions on this. Thanks.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yesterday I did the same thing Candy. I put Solo in with Pio. Solo is two now and Pio is five. The same thing happened. Solo was doing the head bobbing and Pio was backing away. Finally Pio turned around and was walking away, and little Solo ran after her and kept trying to bite her legs. Pio went in the hide and didn't come out any more and Solo walked around the garden taking bites from all the plants. I was afraid to leave them alone, so I'll try again tomorrow. I'm hoping they will be OK together, but I can see that the little one, Solo is the more aggressive one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure its a territorial thing. Its always a good idea to introduce tortoises (or any animal) in a totally separate enclosure...an enclosure where one tortoise hasn't been king of the territory. Redfooted tortoises are the exception to the rule, in that they usually get along very well in groups, and seem to welcome other tortoises' company. I think it will eventually work out ok, you just have to keep on top of it to be sure and referee when needed.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks Terry, it's nice to know mine are not the only ones doing things to each other. :D

Yvonne, I will try putting them together in the backyard out of the dog run and see what happens. I guess it might take a while for them to get to know each other and become friendly. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Good luck to both of you. Candy how close are your three in size?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are a few things that will help, but there is going to be a little of this at first no matter what.

1. Plenty of space. This is a big one- the little ones need places they can run away to or hide in, which brings us to...
2. plenty of hides, access to food, etc. so the big one cannot block access to all the good stuff and so the little ones can run away.
3. You can try making a hide or a section of the pen where the opening is too small for the big one but lets the small ones in. Never worked for me, but may for you.

There are probably two things going on here. Territoriality is very likely, but Dale may also be feeling his hormones as well.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Jaqui, Dale is about 8 to 9 inches in length now and Ruby and Eddie are about 4 to 5 inches in length.

Madkins, I was thinking the same thing about the hormones and territory. I had the boys put them out today but Dale was able to make it to their side of the enclosure before I knew it. I'm glad to say that everyone is o.k. so far. :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Interesting post. I thought Russians were the mean ones.

Hope it works out for everyone! Amazing, Candy, that size doesn't seem to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.