Winter Enclosure in Ohio

Gab5150

Location (City and/or State)
Central Ohio
Hi guys! I'm new here and to tortoises. After doing months of research, I'll finally be a new baby Sulcata mommy this week! I have my indoor setup finished, but now I want to start planning for our outdoor enclosure.

We have about an acre of fenced in yard for our buddy to roam, but my concern is creating a safe winter shelter for him/her. Although it will be some time before my little guy/girl will be ready to stay outdoors during the winter months (I'm in Ohio by the way), I'm shopping around for the proper housing so that we can begin building in the Spring. I have found a 12'x12' greenhouse/shed combo that I adore (I've always wanted a greenhouse:)) but I want to make sure it is going to be right for my sully. Our plan is to insulate the shed and keep it heated and maybe add a doggie door once he is big enough for when he wants to get out into the yard. We are also going to be placing a night box with a pig blanket and CHE in the shed for the really cold nights (we usually have a few nights per year when the temps dip into the negative digits).

I'll post pics of the shed and I'd love to hear some opinions on it. I wonder if the "greenhouse" windows will cause any issues? I'm hoping not because I love the idea of my tort being able to enjoy some sun even on the days that he can't get outside. Outdoor-Living-Today-Sunshed-12ft-1.-W-x-12ft.-D-Wood-Garden-Shed.jpgOutdoor-Living-Today-Sunshed-12ft.-W-x-12ft.-D-Wood-Garden-Shed.jpg978db539-2c70-4916-a42b-c8efc0db8c24_400.jpg938f6662-67e6-47fd-a980-1019177d2251_400.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Beautiful shed/green house. I think it would work great. My only concern would be it getting too hot. Are the glass panels able to be opened? I guess the only way you would know is to do it. Adjustments can always be made if it does get too hot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Insulating the shed would be good, however, I think a lot of your heat would dissipate out the windows in the winter. You might try to figure out some sort of insulated covers for them...something you can easily remove or open on sunny days, but close up for protection at night. I love that shed, though. I hope you can get it and work it out.

Gab5150

Central Ohio
Beautiful shed/green house. I think it would work great. My only concern would be it getting too hot. Are the glass panels able to be opened? I guess the only way you would know is to do it. Adjustments can always be made if it does get too hot.
Oh good point! I don't think the glass panels are able to open, but the 10 windows around the sides do. I think the shed also has two doors, one in the front and one in the back so that could help to allow a nice draft to flow through.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree with the above. That is adorable! Tweaks here and there and I hope you can make it work.

Gab5150

Central Ohio
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Insulating the shed would be good, however, I think a lot of your heat would dissipate out the windows in the winter. You might try to figure out some sort of insulated covers for them...something you can easily remove or open on sunny days, but close up for protection at night. I love that shed, though. I hope you can get it and work it out.

Thanks for pointing that out :) I could maybe hang some thermal curtains along the side windows. I'll have to look in to what I could do for the top panels though. Maybe my husband could design some sort of device that would allow me to hang thermal curtains or some other type of insulation up there as well.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, that shed is BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, your tort will be living the dream in there.
Foam insulation sprays and cleans up nicely, and keeps things nice and toasty.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Welcome! Where did you find that shed??????

Gab5150

Central Ohio
Wow, that shed is BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, your tort will be living the dream in there.
Foam insulation sprays and cleans up nicely, and keeps things nice and toasty.
I think thats probably what we will go with. From what I've read, the spray insulation also acts as a moisture barrier so that's a nice bonus ;)
Welcome! Where did you find that shed??????
Thanks Lismar! I saw it at Home Depot. I'll post a link to it :)http://www.homedepot.com/p/Outdoor-...tern-Red-Cedar-Garden-Shed-SSGS1212/202072356

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Nice! Thanks! I wonder if the material is ok. I think cedar is somewhat toxic to torts?????

Gab5150

Central Ohio
Nice! Thanks! I wonder if the material is ok. I think cedar is somewhat toxic to torts?????
Yikes! :eek:Thats no good! Do you know what about it is toxic? What I mean is is it toxic only if they eat it or is just being near it enough to irritate them?
Thank you for telling me! I would never have thought that the kind of wood could be so important!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I know I have seen many post warning people away from using cedar or pine bedding for enclosures so I'm not sure if this applies too??? Hopefully an expert will chime in!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is unfortunate that it is cedar. I have been told that cedar, especially new cedar is pretty bad. Hopefully one of the experts will stop by and say it is ok. I am thinking maybe not though.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How old is your tortoise? Is it an adult or a baby? As far as the Cedar goes maybe you can just let the boards air out for a while. and the spray on installation might also help because it will be a barrier between the boards and the tortoise. It seems to me that the type of wood would be a lot more important indoors and with a lot of humidity and with a young tortoise. But I'm definitely not an expert.i'm sure more experts will chime in soon.

Gab5150

Central Ohio
How old is your tortoise? Is it an adult or a baby? As far as the Cedar goes maybe you can just let the boards air out for a while. and the spray on installation might also help because it will be a barrier between the boards and the tortoise. It seems to me that the type of wood would be a lot more important indoors and with a lot of humidity and with a young tortoise. But I'm definitely not an expert.i'm sure more experts will chime in soon.
My torty is 8 weeks old so still incredibly young. It would be at least 6 months before we would begin assembling the shed so there would be plenty of time for it to air out, but I don't think I want to risk it :( I have seen similar ones online so if I'm lucky, maybe I can find one made of a different kind of wood. Are there any other kinds of wood that I should steer clear of?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He won't have to spend the winter out there for a couple years at least. So you have time to figure it out.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Those are the only 2 I have seen that are dangerous. Its too bad because its sooooo pretty.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
No cedar bedding, of course. My understanding is enclosures can be made of cedar, because the wood is treated, more aged.
It might have an odor at first, but if you set it up in the Spring, it would have all summer to air out, or even longer, depending on when your tortoise moves in over winter. I wouldn't give up on it yet!

I use bubble wrap made for greenhouses (not the packing kind) in my greenhouse, on the inside of the roof and on the windows. It insulates the polycarbonate windows very well. It comes on rolls as 24" wide, so covers most polycarbonate windows or roofs quite well between supports. I bet there are insulated blanket materials that could go over the clear part of the roof if you needed additional coverage in your area.

When your climate makes the GH/shed too hot, your Sulcata won't need it. But I do also have an exhaust fan set up on a thermostat. The fan is on the top of one short side, with the louvered intake on the bottom of the opposite side. This works very well to keep temps down. I also put a shade cloth over the top in the warm months. Of course, as mentioned, my tortoises don't even use the Green house in the warmer months.