Great news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
My nameless Dumerils boa, still on baytril injections, just shed and devoured his first rat since I got him on Valentine's day. With much gusto I might add. I thought that he'd come out of a shed with an appetite, all my other snakes do. Even if they had just eaten a big meal for some reason a shed just makes those little snake bellies growl. He was gaping his mouth this morning but his nose is pretty clear and there isn't a terrible amount of mucus. Either way, he's eating and on the mend. When I got him he was 9.3 lbs. He gained and is now 9.6. That weight gain is before he even started eating. He gained from water alone. People have got to realize snakes are not nasty little monsters, they will not drink standing water, it must be fresh, clean and cold. The disgusting thing is, he came from a breeder. My vet agrees with me, after I did some research, the cause was more than likely long term low level dehydration. Wish us luck, I think we're going to be okay.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So happy to hear a story moving towards success....LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing this...keep us posted so we know when he is fully recovered...oh and hey, good job :D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Weda737 said:
they will not drink standing water, it must be fresh, clean and cold.

Very good point. A lot of large scale keepers/breeders have noticed that their snakes only drink shortly after fresh water is given in the enclosure. Never do they observe their snakes drinking any other time.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Thanks guys, It's nice to be noticed for all my efforts.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Took a walk in the woods with my boa boy today, heard only one wheeze. He sat quietly around my shoulders with his big old heavy butt supported by my arm (which is still tired lol) and his chin rested on my other hand. He watched everything, Turning his head a little when I turned, flicking his tongue here and there. He's so sweet, I think he enjoyed the fresh air and scenery.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I swear he can read minds! I asked him after we got home and settled down for a while if he would like to eat again, just talking to him, the way I'm sure the rest of you do to your animals because I'm not crazy lol. Well I left the room right after that for just a few minutes and when I came back I came face to face with a big grinning boa. He was waiting for me to walk in the door. So I turned right back around and popped him a rat into some hot water. Another small rat, sold as a medium but I call it small. 90g is small. So I guess when I get paid again in a week I'll be ordering some frozen in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.