Grazing

jessicaf

Location (City and/or State)
ADK NY
Since the weather has been so nice lately, I have been taking my tortoise outside to graze. He walks around and eats whatever he wants. There is no way I can possibly identify everything in my yard. Wouldn't he be able to tell which is poisonous and which is ok.? His favorite is clover and dandelion.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Typically, no. Though i think wild caught tortoises know poisonous from safe better than captive bred. My Russian, Max grazes when i take him to my moms backyard and he strictly eats hawksbeard, dandelion, chickweed (his favorite) & grass. Hes came across other weeds but has no interest in them. It looks like he sniffs it and walks away.
Though this doesnt mean we should let them roam around & completely trust they know to stay away from poisonous plants. Better safe than sorry. Have you tried taking pictures and posting them in a thread for us to help identify? Or use thetortoisetable.org.uk to identify some yourself?

jessicaf

ADK NY
I will eventually build him an outdoor enclosure. Have only had him for 2 months, one month being too cold to be out. He does seem selective and loves sniffing around.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Thats good. How big is he?
But until you identify the poisonous plants, make sure you watch him when hes roaming around. Yvonne also has a thread with common weeds (edible and non-edible). Just go to tortoise food & diet section & then plant ID. Her thread should be at the top.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
I would be careful. My Russian male once went to eat rhubarb leaves - totally toxic! So I do not believe they always know what to avoid. I imagine they may learn to avoid by experience - bad taste or reaction, then avoid in future - if they survive the experience.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! :tort:

I often take Oli :<3: out for "walks" when the weather permits. I stand by him like a bodyguard so as to remain on the safe side.;)

Please post pictures of your tort.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I always let my tortoise wander around... but I have no idea what's in my yard. I keep an eye on her whenever she's out... once she got a rock stuck in her mouth until I pulled it out! (Don't know why she wanted to eat that anyway). As long as you don't have many toxic things in your yard and just grass, you should be good to go!

jessicaf

ADK NY
He loves to wander up the sidewalk, lol. I'm out with him all the time. Unfortunately, one we had for years when I was a child got out of our house and on the street. 2 boys found her and " returned" her to the woods. We never found her

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    726.1 KB · Views: 8