Grazing and starving....hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Satellite Beach, Fl
Ok guys, i built my torts a new enclosure this weekend! its about 18X6' rectangle. theres lots of grass and good drainage in this area of the yard. Ive planted a seed mix from Carolinapetsupply too, and its growing well though the torts havent tried to eat it yet. my problem... Franklin doesnt graze! Tara isnt picky and she will go munch on everything thats around! Franklin only grazed sparingly... he'd rather graze for dog poo out in the yard or eat flowers and greens off his plate. so should I slowly wean him off the plated greens? ive been feeding them fresh greens every other day, and franklin chows down on them!
i was also thinking of feeding them mazuri diet occasionally. ive read conflicting info about "tortoise diet pellets" being bad and being good. what do you guys think ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Vanessa:

I like to use Mazuri once a week for my big tortoises. That way I'm sure they're getting all the nutrients they require to grow strong and healthy.

I think just give Franklin time. He'll eventually see that Tara is eating the grass and weeds and he'll give it a try too. But in the meantime, Mazuri can't hurt.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I use mazuri once a week in summer and 2-3 times a week in winter. I would not use any other brand, but thats just my opinion. I think if you are feeding him every other day then he is not going to starve.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
thanx guys! oh and FYI i keep a good eye on him to make sure he doesnt eat poop... its like he has Poo-DAR, zeroing in for the Poo in 20seconds! its crazy, and gross! Tara isnt really interested in poo... its like Franklin is searching for the brown goldnuggets in the yard! eewww!

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
i should really probably get some mazuri for jenny where do you guys get yours?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
mazuri can be bought at most feed stores who sell Purina..
Its probably abad habit he got... or he is missing something in his diet.. mazuri might help this.. AND it looks like little Poo's!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have not yet been able to find Mazuri anywhere near me either. It would be great if someone in The Phoenix area (east valley) could give a local source for it. I hate paying to have it shipped if I can pick it up locally.

Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread, but I think a lot of people would like to know where Mazuri is sold near them.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
You know. . . . some people would probably pay a lot of money for a tortoise that would clean up the dog poo in their yard!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you can find a store that sells horse feed or barnyard animal stuff they can usually order Mazuri for you. I buy it from a local feed store here. The only problem is that you have to buy a 25 pound bag. Even with all of mine that still lasts me around 2 or 3 months.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
haha... Im glad im not the only one who thinks poo eating is funny and gross. I went to the local exotic pet store today and they didnt carry it.... they only had Zoo-med(repti-med) something like that! I'll probably just order it online.
Franklin was grazing a little bit today.... i swear he glares at me whilst grazing... thinking "where's my tomatoes LADY!?!?!?!?"
in my mind, Franklin has a bit of a bitchy attitude.... and a british accent... lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, you won't find it in a pet store. You have to go to a feed store (cattle and horse feed) that sells Purina products. They can order it for you.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
cool thanx Yvonne! (my birthday buddy!) i know we have a couple feed stores in the area.. ill check it out :) thankx again for all of your advice guys! Im so glad i joined the forum, such a great scource for information!!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
FranklinAndTara said:
haha... Im glad im not the only one who thinks poo eating is funny and gross. I went to the local exotic pet store today and they didnt carry it.... they only had Zoo-med(repti-med) something like that! I'll probably just order it online.
Franklin was grazing a little bit today.... i swear he glares at me whilst grazing... thinking "where's my tomatoes LADY!?!?!?!?"
in my mind, Franklin has a bit of a bitchy attitude.... and a british accent... lol

You have a Feed store in Eau Gallie that carries bags.......Or I can sell it by the pound.......I'm sure the "Local Exotic Pet Store" were sure proud of their lumpy Tortoises........

River14

5 Year Member
I have a similar problem with a small Indian star. There are two of them. One loves running around (literly pecking at the lawn and small weeds the other only eats the optunia and hybiscus flowers so I thought I would try Mazuri as I discovered some at last in HK (great excitment) its nice to have something to fall back on with a picky eater.

She doesnt like Mazuri at all, so today I chopped up a red hibiscus flower and mashed the pellets and mixed the two and she tucked straight in! Yipeee

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
EricIvins said:
FranklinAndTara said:

You have a Feed store in Eau Gallie that carries bags.......Or I can sell it by the pound.......I'm sure the "Local Exotic Pet Store" were sure proud of their lumpy Tortoises........

Thanx Eric! Are you local? I didnt actually buy the torts... one wandered into my garage and when i went to return him to his home they gave me the second one :) Incredible Pets is the store... lots of exotics and minimal food selection. go figure, thanx for the info ;)

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
River14 said:
I have a similar problem with a small Indian star. There are two of them. One loves running around (literly pecking at the lawn and small weeds the other only eats the optunia and hybiscus flowers so I thought I would try Mazuri as I discovered some at last in HK (great excitment) its nice to have something to fall back on with a picky eater.

She doesnt like Mazuri at all, so today I chopped up a red hibiscus flower and mashed the pellets and mixed the two and she tucked straight in! Yipeee

i wonder if the bright colors draw them in? im sure its smell too. mine try to eat their plastic plates from time to time... i use the el-cheapo plates from walmart... super bright colors! they would bite on the pink and yellow ones.. but not the blue or teal... kind of odd

Status
Not open for further replies.