Good Beginner Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fayetteville, AR
As many of you probably know by my intro thread, I currently do not have a tortoise. I have no clue when (or if for that matter...) I'll get one, but it can't hurt to ask questions, you know?

Anyway, what kind of tortoise is good for someone who has not had a tortoise before? My ideal tortoise wouldn't be super needy, on the smaller side (sulcatas officially ruled out. haha.), and not too expensive. I know proper care can get expensive, but for now, I don't want one that's very expensive. To this degree, I was thinking that a Russian tortoise would fit these qualifications, but I figured I'd ask about it. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
A russian would be great and a greek would be great too but if I were you I would get an eastern hermanns.

E27

5 Year Member
Fayetteville, AR
Greeks are just so expensive though. I haven't heard of Eastern Hermanns though...

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Care is about the same thing as a russian or greek but I would look into them if you havent started to yet. A baby would be around 100 dollars.

E27

5 Year Member
Fayetteville, AR
Yeah. That would probably be the max I'd go. Shipping is the cost I'm most concerned about. That'll jack up the price like crazy. I don't think there's anywhere to get them here. I mean other than Petco or Petsmart, of course.

EKLC

5 Year Member
If you're on a budget, make sure you take into account the expenses other than the tortoise itself. There's a lot of "gear" that you need to get to start with.

E27

5 Year Member
Fayetteville, AR
EKLC said:
If you're on a budget, make sure you take into account the expenses other than the tortoise itself. There's a lot of "gear" that you need to get to start with.
All of the accessories is actually the reason I want the cost of the tortoise to be lower. If I don't spend as much on the tortoise, I can spend more to spoil it. haha.

yoda3106 said:
I have 3 Greeks and It only cost me 20euros :)
That's awesome. I wish I k ew the person you got yours from. That would save me quite a bit.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I usually like to recommend an Eastern Hermann's when these sorts of queries are posed. They have nice shell coloration, eat a mix of things readily, live well in temperate areas, generally stay on the smaller size, and I have had many with decent "personality" (if you can even call it that). I hope you find what you are looking for.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Definitely take a look at Toms beginner thread. Things can go very smoothly for first tortoise experience an they an also go very bad. There are always going to be great tortoises out there. If your on a budget I would make it a goal to get the proper necessities all purchased and set up then when your ready you can spend whatever you'd like on the perfect tortoise for that already set up enclosure with the correct items. Lighting, proper substrate, lighting, hide, thermostat, barometer, food plate, decorations like plants or rocks. Everything doesn't have to be from a pet store either. In fact most everything that works better for enclosures with the exception of lighting and calcium supplements is cheaper from other places.

Good luck.
Better to be prepared before you get an animal that relies on popes care.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm really happy to see you looking into and educating yourself beforehand. This will increase your chances of having a satisfying successful tortoise experience greatly. Also really happy to see you eliminating species that you know won't be right for you. I love sulcatas, but they are surely not the right species for everyone.

All the more common species; russians, greeks, hermanns, redfoot, leopards... they all cost right around the same ball park. It makes me very nervous when I see a new person fretting over $20-50 on the purchase price, or the shipping of a tortoise. Were talking about a living animal that should live for decades and at any time, for any number of reasons, could become sick or injured and require hundreds or even thousands in vet bills. If the cash flow is so tight that a few bucks one way or the other really matters that much I propose that you need to wait until your financial situation is better. I know it sucks to hear this, but its reality. Those expensive bulbs sometimes burn out. Equipment stops working (ZooMed Fogger, anyone?), gets dropped or broken. Food and supplements add up. Florescent bulbs have to be replaced every six months. Etc... Tortoise keeping is certainly not the most expensive pastime, but it does cost money. If someone doesn't have plenty of money to cover all the what ifs, as well as the purchase price and shipping of a common species, then I suggest waiting a while.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
E27 said:
All of the accessories is actually the reason I want the cost of the tortoise to be lower. If I don't spend as much on the tortoise, I can spend more to spoil it. haha.

That's awesome. I wish I k ew the person you got yours from. That would save me quite a bit.

Or, you could have got 5 haha :)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I got both of my tortoises as rescues(Russian and a Marginated). In both cases, the person who had to re-home their tortoise cared more about ensuring they would get good care than they did about being paid for the tortoise. Getting the tortoises wasn't cheap in either case though honestly because they both needed new enclosures, stands, lights, coir, decorations, basking tiles, cuttle bones, and probably other things I am not thinking of at the moment.

E27

5 Year Member
Fayetteville, AR
Whoa a lot of responses. Um...the main cost thing is that since I'm only 19, I still have to rely on my parents for money, so that's where the financial thing comes from. If I can convince them to help me out, I'll be good. But you know. That's neither here nor there for right now.

I read the beginner's thread. I learned a whole lot and judging by a lot of the enclosure threads, I can build a cost-effective enclosure and mainly focus on heating lamps, etc. I mean...I know what I want for the future tortoise. And if I can ballpark a cost for a set-up, I know what goal I need with money.

Anyway, @tortadise, see, the thing is that I don't really know any non-pet store alternatives around where I live. I'm pretty sure that all I've really got is the chain stores. Which isn't something I'm complaining about. If push comes to shove, I can have a Petsmart party. haha.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Check your local (and surrounding area's) Craigslists...tortoises do come up from time to time. Around here, they'll be mostly sulcatas and Russians, but others, too.

expo tort

5 Year Member
I have a western Hermann tortoise he is just great. A hermann is a good choice if your on a budget. Also they will eat spring mix, hay, and other things quiet readily. And as mentioned earlier they have great personalities.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
In a sense, there is no such thing as a beginner turtle, since all terrestrial and aquatic chelonians call for some knowledge on the part of the keeper to maintain them properly.

Having said that, some tortoises are easier to keep than others. The first step is to think about the climate where you live. Looks like you live in Arkansas, which is in a humid, warm part of the country. Although turtles can adapt somewhat to new conditions, and although technology can help them do so, it's certainly easier, cheaper, less time-consuming, and a safer bet to get a tortoise that is native to a part of the world where the climate is similar to where you live (this is known as environmental matching).

Since you live in Arkansas, you could go with just about any Testudo tortoise, except the Egyptian (T. kleinmanni), or Greeks from the southern Mediterranean (T. graeca sspp.) , since these types tend to be more sensitive. This leaves you with the more robust Greek, Hermann, Russian, and Marginated species and subspecies. Of these, I would recommend either the Ibera Greek (T. graeca ibera) or the eastern Hermann (T. hermanni boettgeri), since these are native to southeastern Europe, where the climate is a bit like the southeastern US. Both of these subspecies are also quite robust, and tend to do well in captivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.