Golf ball sized urates

Bducks16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
forest grove, oregon
My larger sulcatas I soak one to two times a week. During a soak this afternoon one of them was really struggling. Back legs were stretched shell was pushed up high. I tried to look under and didn't see anything. Lots of bubbles coming up so figured she was passing gas. A few minutes later I saw what looked like a egg underwater. I freaked out thinking she was laying eggs. She's about the size now to where she could. I reached into grab it and it was a rock hard golf ball sized urate. Poor thing that had to of hurt like hell. I'm sure she's feeling better now. She has a big water tray that she never touches so she has constant access to fresh water. Definitely going to soak at least three times a week from now on. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460592098.292104.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Man, that is bad news.
Let's contact @maggie3fan
Her tortoise, Bob died from complications from a stone like that.
Maybe she can help you with this NOT happening in the future.
Calcification like that should not be happening.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Yikes! If that was my tort we'd be headed in for X-rays to see if there are more stones.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
The girlfriend is a vet tech. She will be going to work with her tomorrow.
Perfect. Tell her to take photos or get scans! I miss being a tech and not just because I got cheap xrays.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Man, that is bad news.
Let's contact @maggie3fan
Her tortoise, Bob died from complications from a stone like that.
Maybe she can help you with this NOT happening in the future.
Calcification like that should not be happening.
Yes I have seen bobs stone. It was like a softball. It was huge.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For learning purposes, what do you typically feed this tortoise?

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
What this tortoise has been eating through this past winter was in order dandelion usually by itself. Day 2 romaine and cucumber. Day three grass clippings the amount that would fill a gallon bucket, pumpkin purée, mazuri. The grass clippings is blended into the mazuri mash sometimes mixed with the pumkin purée as well. Then repeat. Every now and then I throw in opuntia pads. Not in any order any way. I don't know if you remember tom but about two months ago my sulcata hatchling died and found a uric stone scaled to size equivalent to what was in her. All access to water and frequent soaks. That's winter food anyway. Now that it's spring and summers around the corner they start eating much better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What this tortoise has been eating through this past winter was in order dandelion usually by itself. Day 2 romaine and cucumber. Day three grass clippings the amount that would fill a gallon bucket, pumpkin purée, mazuri. The grass clippings is blended into the mazuri mash sometimes mixed with the pumkin purée as well. Then repeat. Every now and then I throw in opuntia pads. Not in any order any way. I don't know if you remember tom but about two months ago my sulcata hatchling died and found a uric stone scaled to size equivalent to what was in her. All access to water and frequent soaks. That's winter food anyway. Now that it's spring and summers around the corner they start eating much better.

I ask because Will just left a post the other day explaining that urates are strictly a by-product of protein digestion and dehydration is the reason they get overly dried out or form into stones like this.

I find it odd that on that diet, both of your tortoises have had this problem when other people with similar diets are not having this problem. I'd love to figure out the missing link. Is it simply water intake, or the lack thereof? I see you are soaking one to two times a week. I would think that would be plenty for a larger sulcata. How long do you soak them for? Warm water?

@Will , Any insight here?

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
I ask because Will just left a post the other day explaining that urates are strictly a by-product of protein digestion and dehydration is the reason they get overly dried out or form into stones like this.

I find it odd that on that diet, both of your tortoises have had this problem when other people with similar diets are not having this problem. I'd love to figure out the missing link. Is it simply water intake, or the lack thereof? I see you are soaking one to two times a week. I would think that would be plenty for a larger sulcata. How long do you soak them for? Warm water?

@Will , Any insight here?
Fifteen minutes or so in warm water. That's about how long it takes before the water is completely filled in feces. The chalky urine had stopped quite along time ago. I was surprised to see it come out in one big clump. Can to much calcium cause this? Maybe I'm using to much and and not enough Uvb. I use calcium d3. I sprinkle the calcium powder only over the romaine when I feed that. Enough to look like the romain has a dusting of snow over top of it. When soaking I don't see them drink they sprawl out head up and relax like there in a hot tub. Water tray is always full. No substrate ever tracked into it so doesn't look like they use it. Every time I pick her up and she's not completely level she will pee and its a lot of pee. Again no chalky chunks in it like she had last year. It's been a year since I've seen any of that.

Last edited:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thanks for having this discussion guys. I am very interested in this subject. I have not had my Sulcata for a year yet, and worry about this. No problems yet. I soak for about an hour once a week. Changing the water after about 15 minutes. I use a lot less calcium than Brian is, and in the winter feed more hay. My guy is bigger, and he drinks quite a bit. Not when he soaks, but from his dish.
After Maggie's problems, I worry the weather, despite the heated sheds, may play An unknown role.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fifteen minutes or so in warm water. That's about how long it takes before the water is completely filled in feces. The chalky urine had stopped quite along time ago. I was surprised to see it come out in one big clump. Can to much calcium cause this? Maybe I'm using to much and and not enough Uvb. I use calcium d3. I sprinkle the calcium powder only over the romaine when I feed that. Enough to look like the romain has a dusting of snow over top of it. When soaking I don't see them drink they sprawl out head up and relax like there in a hot tub. Water tray is always full. No substrate ever tracked into it so doesn't look like they use it. Every time I pick her up and she's not completely level she will pee and its a lot of pee. Again no chalky chunks in it like she had last year. It's been a year since I've seen any of that.

According to @Will , urates have nothing to do with calcium intake.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Wow ! that is terrible ! I also worry about this and am wondering if it could have something to do with the water they drink and soak in ? Maybe something in the water could do it ?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid

No Calcium in that molecular formula. Some debate that it's urea, urates or some other form of uric acid, all of which are protein metabolite by products, and all do occur in tortoises.

I don't know what more to say. If you see calcium in that molecular formula then, yeah, calcium is in there. NOT.