Urate or gallbladder stone?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Urates collect like this in the urinary bladder or in the cloaca. There are three factors that tend to make this happen:
1. Lack of hydration.
2. Too much protein.
3. Not enough exercise.

You are lucky this one passed. This is your wake-up call. What to do about it:
1. More soaks, more sprinklers, more puddles. Have a shallow pond built.
2. Any clover, alfalfa, plantain weeds, or original Mazuri in the diet? I'd cut back on those things and add more grass, grass hay, or grass hay pellets. Opuntia pads are good too, and have the added benefit of adding more hydration.
3. How large is the enclosure? Is there plenty of shade so that Opo can walk around during the day without getting too hot?
My short comings are lack of water. Definitely need to give Opo more options of opportunities for water. Different water features to find out what he prefers on any given day.
To much protein and green leafy foods. During winter months I am feeding Opo to much mazuri and cactus pads. Also need to get away from green leafy foods. Will start growing the seed mixes suggested here.
Exercise is not a problem. Opo has a large backyard which he grazes on all day. In fact the backyard is looking the best it ever has. With the lack of weeds. Opo is a natural weed killer. Definitely I have been overfeeding Opo also.
You are right Tom, I definitely got a wake up call.
Thanks Tom and everyone else for their suggestions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My short comings are lack of water. Definitely need to give Opo more options of opportunities for water. Different water features to find out what he prefers on any given day.
To much protein and green leafy foods. During winter months I am feeding Opo to much mazuri and cactus pads. Also need to get away from green leafy foods. Will start growing the seed mixes suggested here.
Exercise is not a problem. Opo has a large backyard which he grazes on all day. In fact the backyard is looking the best it ever has. With the lack of weeds. Opo is a natural weed killer. Definitely I have been overfeeding Opo also.
You are right Tom, I definitely got a wake up call.
Thanks Tom and everyone else for their suggestions.
Cactus pads aren't too high in protein and they are a great water source.

The main diet should be grass or grass hay.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Cactus pads aren't too high in protein and they are a great water source.

The main diet should be grass or grass hay.
Sometimes I will feed Opo 8 to 10 pads. He would eat more if I iet him. I don't know where he puts all the food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes I will feed Opo 8 to 10 pads. He would eat more if I iet him. I don't know where he puts all the food.
I think most people (I certainly did...) have a moment of panic when their sulcata reaches around 10-12 inches and turns into a Hoover monster, eating everything in sight. Three entire heads of lettuce every day is not enough to satiate these beasts at this stage... I thought to myself. OMG... How am I ever going to feed this thing, day after day...? Here is the answer I try to give to everyone. Two words: Grass hay. A sulcata keepers dream come true. Cheap, easy, convenient, good for them, easy to come by in large quantities, easy to feed out, etc...

Once you get them going on grass hay you, and they, are set for life. All the stuff that you used to "feed" them prior to the grass hay just becomes supplemental treats that are no longer necessary, but you still feed them that stuff because you enjoy feeding them other things, and they seem to enjoy eating those other things. I think cactus pads are a great way to keep them hydrated ad internally lubed up when they are eating lots of grass hay.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I think most people (I certainly did...) have a moment of panic when their sulcata reaches around 10-12 inches and turns into a Hoover monster, eating everything in sight. Three entire heads of lettuce every day is not enough to satiate these beasts at this stage... I thought to myself. OMG... How am I ever going to feed this thing, day after day...? Here is the answer I try to give to everyone. Two words: Grass hay. A sulcata keepers dream come true. Cheap, easy, convenient, good for them, easy to come by in large quantities, easy to feed out, etc...

Once you get them going on grass hay you, and they, are set for life. All the stuff that you used to "feed" them prior to the grass hay just becomes supplemental treats that are no longer necessary, but you still feed them that stuff because you enjoy feeding them other things, and they seem to enjoy eating those other things. I think cactus pads are a great way to keep them hydrated ad internally lubed up when they are eating lots of grass hay.
I am waiting for the seeds you suggested to be delivered. Should I seed a section of my yard with the grass that is already there? Would it be better to plant seeds in pots or trays instead? Or should I do both, the yard and pots/trays?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am waiting for the seeds you suggested to be delivered. Should I seed a section of my yard with the grass that is already there? Would it be better to plant seeds in pots or trays instead? Or should I do both, the yard and pots/trays?
I'd do all of the above. Grow lots and lots of food. Try many ways to see what is most effective and efficient for you.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Forgot to tell you all. Since I wasn't in the vet's office. When they tried to weigh him. He wouldn't stop moving. I said to Rose she should have fed him some cactus. Our vet has a sulcata that was brought to her. With one side of the shell damaged from a car hitting the sully. When Rose had brought some cactus in for Opo. For some odd reason the vet didn't know that sullies like cactus. She keeps her sully on 3 acres of land. I told her I would bring some cuttings from our cactus.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Forgot to tell you all. Since I wasn't in the vet's office. When they tried to weigh him. He wouldn't stop moving. I said to Rose she should have fed him some cactus. Our vet has a sulcata that was brought to her. With one side of the shell damaged from a car hitting the sully. When Rose had brought some cactus in for Opo. For some odd reason the vet didn't know that sullies like cactus. She keeps her sully on 3 acres of land. I told her I would bring some cuttings from our cactus.
That's so lovely. Maybe she'll join us. 🤞😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tell them next time to put the tortoise on an upside down 5 gallon bucket that is resting on the scale.

Like this:
IMG_5115.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Tell them next time to put the tortoise on an upside down 5 gallon bucket that is resting on the scale.

Like this:
View attachment 359683
Since I wasn't in the office. I am not sure what kind of setup they have. I am going to check tomorrow, to see if my scale platform is big enough for a 5 gallon pail. I use a plastic tub upside down but Opo's weight is starting to collapse it a little.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.

So Tom, you mention "Grass Hay", is that like Oat Hay, Alfalfa Hay, or Timothy Grass?
Alfalfa is easy to come by, but Does Alfalfa have too much Protein, for Sully's?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So Tom, you mention "Grass Hay", is that like Oat Hay, Alfalfa Hay, or Timothy Grass?
Alfalfa is easy to come by, but Does Alfalfa have too much Protein, for Sully's?
Oat hay, Timothy, and alfalfa are all too stemmy. Orchard grass hay is best, and I mix in Bermuda or teff too.

I would say that yes, alfalfa is too high in protein to be fed as the main part of the diet, but the largest breeder of sulcatas in the world just drops bales of alfalfa in his pens with 100s of sulcatas in AZ. Maybe his operation is so big that he isn't noticing the problems, or maybe its not a problem. I wouldn't do it. I do grow my own alfalfa and throw in handfuls to the mix from time to time. Some protein is good for a well hydrated tortoise. Too much protein too much of the time is not good.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Oat hay, Timothy, and alfalfa are all too stemmy. Orchard grass hay is best, and I mix in Bermuda or teff too.

I would say that yes, alfalfa is too high in protein to be fed as the main part of the diet, but the largest breeder of sulcatas in the world just drops bales of alfalfa in his pens with 100s of sulcatas in AZ. Maybe his operation is so big that he isn't noticing the problems, or maybe its not a problem. I wouldn't do it. I do grow my own alfalfa and throw in handfuls to the mix from time to time. Some protein is good for a well hydrated tortoise. Too much protein too much of the time is not good.
Thank's Tom, I'll have to check out the feed store...supply

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Again, I have no first hand experience, but that one looks good to me, I would use it. It is intended to be eaten by animals, in contrast to lawn seed which is intended to look green and pretty and sometimes kill pests. Lawn seed usually has all sorts of weird additives in it.

I've used this one with excellent results for many years:

I have tried the above mix side-by-side with many other seed mixes and types of grasses. It always outperforms the competition and gives me many many cuts to feed out.
I bought the seed you recommended and also the seed Wapgey suggested. After buying I was looking at the seed that Wapgey suggested. Florida is not one of the regions it is recommended for. Couldn't find the recommended regions for yours. I guess I will find out. I do have a local feed and seed store here. I am sure they will have something if this seed doesn't work.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I bought the seed you recommended and also the seed Wapgey suggested. After buying I was looking at the seed that Wapgey suggested. Florida is not one of the regions it is recommended for. Couldn't find the recommended regions for yours. I guess I will find out. I do have a local feed and seed store here. I am sure they will have something if this seed doesn't work.

I've been using that pasture mix from groworganic for about 3 years now. It works well!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I've been using that pasture mix from groworganic for about 3 years now. It works well!
Do you know
That is the company Tom suggested. I will call them tomorrow and see what seed is good for my region. The other seed I looked at. Their website had a picture what zones it grew in. Florida was not one of those. That is what generated my concerns.