Giant Mexican Musk Turtles into Pond

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts about me moving my giant mexican musk turtles out into my 8000 gallon pond from the 180 gallon indoor aquarium. They're about 10 months - 1 year old at this point and larger than any of the other turtles in the pond (1 southern painted, 1 razor back musk, 3 map). I'm not worried about their size, but perhaps the age. If I do so before next spring when I was planning on it originally, I'd rather do it sooner than later so they have maximum time to get used to it before the winter.

The reason I'm thinking about moving them before next spring is recently there have been a couple more instances that I'd like of light nipping. Never any damage done, but one of them does like to nip at the others. The turtles getting nipped just turn their shell and push away, but I don't want them to develop a bullying relationship. I thought 180 gallons would be fine for space, there are lots of nooks, crannies, and sight block for them to not feel crowded I would think.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it.

The turtles in question, sorry its a bit blurry they are super super active all the time.

20230711_063519.jpg20230711_063534.jpg20230711_063536.jpg20230711_063636.jpg

Location (City and/or State)
Central PA
Dont worry about the motion blur that is every active animals situation when the get a photoshoot 😂 If they are getting into trouble being around each other and just as big as the other turtles i would move them to the bigger aquarium. I think the more time they have to adjust is better, like you thought

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Let's see if an experienced member that actually knows about them can help here.
Maybe @Markw84 can help. I know he has turtles.
The first pic though, he is beautiful.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Let's see if an experienced member that actually knows about them can help here.
Maybe @Markw84 can help. I know he has turtles.
The first pic though, he is beautiful.

These giant mexican musk turtles are amazingly pretty. Given how active they are, I hope I still get to see them a lot in the pond. The other turtles out there are just starting to get more used to people out and be seen a lot.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I Don't recall where you are located. So no thoughts about the overwinter temps?

As far as bullying, keep in mind the razorback is also quite territorial. Especially if male. Even in my previous 10,000 gal pond, mine would patrol the pond vigorously chasing any brown, or musk shaped turtle. Tail biting and shell biting common. So with the behavior of your musk already, I would really watch that. The biting certainly can be aggressive enough to loose the ends of tails and some rear marginals eventually. My razorback went after male maps very aggressively to where eventually most of my males would not venture down into the large, lower pond, but stayed in the upper pond with my spotted as the razorback male never ventured up there.

With that as a caution, the pond would be much better than the tank at this stage. My lower pond was mostly open for the koi and large cooters with plenty of open swimming room. So chasing for the razorback was fairly easy keeping the "prey" in easy site. With ample hides, you should be OK. But certainly monitor. Let us know how it goes. I have not worked with Mexican Giants

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I Don't recall where you are located. So no thoughts about the overwinter temps?

As far as bullying, keep in mind the razorback is also quite territorial. Especially if male. Even in my previous 10,000 gal pond, mine would patrol the pond vigorously chasing any brown, or musk shaped turtle. Tail biting and shell biting common. So with the behavior of your musk already, I would really watch that. The biting certainly can be aggressive enough to loose the ends of tails and some rear marginals eventually. My razorback went after male maps very aggressively to where eventually most of my males would not venture down into the large, lower pond, but stayed in the upper pond with my spotted as the razorback male never ventured up there.

With that as a caution, the pond would be much better than the tank at this stage. My lower pond was mostly open for the koi and large cooters with plenty of open swimming room. So chasing for the razorback was fairly easy keeping the "prey" in easy site. With ample hides, you should be OK. But certainly monitor. Let us know how it goes. I have not worked with Mexican Giants
Thanks Mark. I'm in Albuquerque, so a few nights in the 10s through winter. Most nights are in the 20s and the water temperature never gets too bad. With the water movement I only had 1 time last year where there was any ice on the surface.

Their range is more central america and southern mexico, so I'm a littler further north than they would get naturally, but not so far as to be super concerning in my mind. I suppose we'll find out.

My pond has lots of little areas to hide out in and I'm adding more as things establish. I'll keep everyone posted and probably move them into the big pond this weekend.

My razoback is female and has never shown much aggression. If I recall the giant mexican musks should get to 12" or so, so much bigger than the others. They're already bigger than any of the turtles in the pond now at less than a year old. Compared to ~7 years for the southern painted, ~6 for the razorback and ~3 for the map turtles.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I decided to go ahead and move the most aggressive of the GMM turtles into the pond. I weighed them at 7.7 oz and measured to almost exactly 4". They were almost immediately super active and swimming around. I'll move the rest over the weekend when I can add some more flagstone hidey holes.

20230711_172140.jpg20230711_172104.jpg20230711_172050.jpg20230711_172046.jpg

And finally, in the pond. Sorry about the glare.

20230711_195101.jpg