Giant mexican musk turtle upside down at bottom of pond

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
We've had a cold snap this week here in Albuquerque like I think a lot of the US. Temperatures have dropped down into the 30s at night and all the turtles have gone mostly inactive. I havn't seen many of the turtles in the last week, but this evening I poked my head outside and saw one of the giant mexican musk turtles upside down at the bottom in the deep area of the pond. They look like they were trying to come up and couldn't. There are lots of places to get to the surface and hang out, but I guess she was trying to surface out in the middle of the open pond.

I don't know how long she was upside down at the bottom, but bringing her inside I was able to get quite a bit of water out of her nose. She is currently isolated in the 180 gallon indoor aquarium out of the water. Hopefully she is recovering, but it doesn't look promising in terms of movement. I know when Fatty had a similar thing occur in January of this year it was about a month before she seemed back to normal. If the giant mexican musk turtle recovers I'll set up a temporary aquarium so that she isn't in the aquarium with the 3 month old rio grande river cooters. She is as big as all 4 put together and then some so that seems like a bad idea.

I'll keep everyone posted and welcome any thoughts or advice.

I assumed that a turtle native to southern mexico and central america would be fine with New Mexico winters, but she was swimming and eating and hanging out just fine up until a week ago, so I guess the cold weather surprised her. The musk turtles are all just over a year old, so I think I'll take this experience as an opportunity to develop a couple new rules for the turtles.

1. Actually native the region, not "close" with arbitrarily determined values for close. I didn't realize just how different the relative climates of their home range are to here until I had already pulled the trigger.

2. Turtles don't go into the pond until they're at least 1 year old. Since I go the Rio Grande cooters in August, that means spring of 2025 is the earliest I'll put them outside. If they start acting aggressive or anything like that (which is why I moved the GMMs out early) I'll separate them or find an alternative that is not putting them in the pond at 6 months old.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, hope she makes it. Being native, I guess I would think she would be able to hand a cold snap. I'm sure it's not the first in your area.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Wow, hope she makes it. Being native, I guess I would think she would be able to hand a cold snap. I'm sure it's not the first in your area.
It doesn't look good. No signs of attempted movement this morning. With a 14 month old underfoot I won't be able to do too much as I'm single parenting this weekend while wife is away. If nothing changes by this evening I guess we'll have our answer.

I think the problem is their native to southern Mexico and central America rather than my climate in northern new Mexico. Their natural range can get cold, but I think I underestimated the difference when I bought them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It doesn't look good. No signs of attempted movement this morning. With a 14 month old underfoot I won't be able to do too much as I'm single parenting this weekend while wife is away. If nothing changes by this evening I guess we'll have our answer.

I think the problem is their native to southern Mexico and central America rather than my climate in northern new Mexico. Their natural range can get cold, but I think I underestimated the difference when I bought them.
That's too bad. Don't give up hope though.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
how accessible is the water surface to them ? what i mean is , can they easily walk to the surface ? when they are cold they don't swim as well , not good swimmers when cold may not be able to reach the surface to get air , they may need access to the surface by way of walking , sometimes when they are cold they even have trouble climbing to the surface...... the ability to stay submerged without air is different in different species.......

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
how accessible is the water surface to them ? what i mean is , can they easily walk to the surface ? when they are cold they don't swim as well , not good swimmers when cold may not be able to reach the surface to get air , they may need access to the surface by way of walking , sometimes when they are cold they even have trouble climbing to the surface...... the ability to stay submerged without air is different in different species.......
The surface has many places with climbable surfaces and shallow areas that they could be reached very easily. I think the problem is that the deep area is where the turtles like to hang out, and there isn't a way out of the deep section without some swimming. I'll try to get some logs and stuff sunken to the bottom area that provide climbable ways to the surface from there. Thanks!

20230915_184423.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Remember that turtles can seem dead for quite a while when they're not.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Unfortunately, the turtle showed no signs of movement of breathing after a full day of being dry docked. I think this one goes in the loss column. Hopefully lessons learned improve future husbandry and nothing is in vain.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I'm sorry bud.....that sucks. I've watched and read how excited this whole adventure has been for you. Don't lose it.....you've done a great job but I never had cold weather cause a turtle to spin out like that. There might be something else. I sure don't see anything looking at your beautiful pool. I kept losing one or two a year in my indoor tanks and couldn't figure out why...for a 3-4 years this went on.....turned out to be the dry mealworms. Some guys didn't handle them well.