How can I get her to stop pooping for a little while!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabelle

5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm new here and so happy to have found this website.

I have a weird question.

I'm doing a 2-3 min. speech on my female tortoise as part of my Speech Communication course in college. I'll be taking her in with me so I can talk about her and show her to the students.

My only problem is, is this...while I've been practicing my speech in our family room and holding her she keeps pooping mass amounts all over the place. This will NOT fly in the classroom and I don't know what to do. Is she nervous?

I was thinking of giving her a real good soak to help eliminate any poop and hopefully she'll behave for the 3 mins. I'm talking. I'll probably put her down at some point and not hold her the full 3 mins.

Any advice?
Cheers,
Joanne

M

Maggie Cummings

That's what I would do. Don't feed her the day before, soak her that morning, and maybe instead of holding her in your bare hand keep her in a small box without tall sides and if she poops it would be in the box. Or duct tape a paper towel on her like a diaper...that's all I can come up with. I used to take several tortoises and turtles and my 65 pound Sulcata to classrooms of younger children and not once did anybody poop. Good luck and have fun doing it. I LOVE showing of chelonia...and welcome to the forum...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would carry a small piece of cloth or maybe a couple sheets of paper towel that you can hold over her rear end, so if she poops it goes into the cloth and no one would be the wiser!

Yvonne

Isabelle

5 Year Member
Thanks so much. I was even thinking of putting a NB (newborn) size diaper on her (ROFL!!!). I have some laying around and I figure they might work on her. Can you imagine.....

Again. Thanks so much.

Joanne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I soak Dale and then I let him walk around my bedroom so he doesn't poop all over the place. I think yours might be nervous also though. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Some will defacate when nervous, such as a giant person picking them up. Think about it what would you do if a 1000 Ft person picked you up?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sometimes if you place their feet on something it helps. When I hold two of mine in the air they poo. But if I place their feet on my hand or in a clear shoe box they are fine. Stress will often cause them to poo Lots. Thats how Squirt got her name she squirted all over me like 6 times the first time I picked her up. LOL Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.