Getting along

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
I really think most debates get out of hand. It really bothers me to see fighting on this forum. I like everybody and you all have wonderful input but it would be great if the attacks could stop on each others' personas. I am pretty new and someone said that if they had read a certain debate they would never have joined. I have to agree with that. I just had to speak out for us newbies. We are all learning. But I still love this forum and these people. :) please no fighting on this thread I just wanted to make a point. If I see fighting I will ask a moderator to delete it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I understand where your coming from. Just to let you know though. This kind of bantering happens only once in a while, I have been a member for more then a year now. It happens every once in a while. The good thing is. No one usually holds grudges. Think of it like a big family. Sometimes, there are disagreements. You really can't stop it. There are just too many opinions all in one place. The best thing to do, if you don't like those kinds of things, is too not read them and pass those threads up. For the most part, this is a very friendly and caring community. I don't really think one thread like the one your talking about justifies someone not joining. That's only one thread and there are hundreds more that is full of good information or just fun stuff. Also, if it gets too bad, the mods will either close the thread or delete the nasty post. They usually don't let it get out of hand too far.
So, stick around. It's all good, really.:D

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
Oh I know that they've only been a few and I wouldn't leave just because of one thread but we also have to think about the people who lurk before joining and what their reactions to those types of threads are.
The pretend chat always makes me laugh! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, the pretend chat can get quite funny. The spats will draw the members that needs a place to vent and learn. We have a little for everyone:D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Certainly the pretend chat. You'll meet friends there. You'll have a chance to get to know the people as if sitting around a living-room.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Maybe that's what I should've done 6 months ago too. Join the pretend chat, because that last fiasco made me feel depressed. There were things said that hurt my feelings and the feelings I have for the moderators here. I love this forum, and I got great comfort and laughs especially after my heart attack last month. I certainly don't need the stress of seeing this forum turn into a battle like it just did. I feel the moderators should have put an end to it a long time ago. Well, what's done is done...we just need to look ahead. I just felt like I had to express that.

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Maybe that's what I should've done 6 months ago too. Join the pretend chat, because that last fiasco made me feel depressed. There were things said that hurt my feelings and the feelings I have for the moderators here. I love this forum, and I got great comfort and laughs especially after my heart attack last month. I certainly don't need the stress of seeing this forum turn into a battle like it just did. I feel the moderators should have put an end to it a long time ago. Well, what's done is done...we just need to look ahead. I just felt like I had to express that.

I couldnt agree more :)

wellington said:
Yes, the pretend chat can get quite funny. The spats will draw the members that needs a place to vent and learn. We have a little for everyone:D
Everyone here is so nice. I really like everyone and this forum.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Certainly the pretend chat. You'll meet friends there. You'll have a chance to get to know the people as if sitting around a living-room.

Lol yes it is like a big family.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
This is easily the "tamest" forum I've been associated with. And I belong to many, ranging from music to sports to dogs. Hop on a Labrador forum and you will be horrified if you think this is bad. This really is a good forum and members really try and help one another.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
wellington said:
I understand where your coming from. Just to let you know though. This kind of bantering happens only once in a while, I have been a member for more then a year now. It happens every once in a while. The good thing is. No one usually holds grudges. Think of it like a big family. Sometimes, there are disagreements. You really can't stop it. There are just too many opinions all in one place. The best thing to do, if you don't like those kinds of things, is too not read them and pass those threads up. For the most part, this is a very friendly and caring community. I don't really think one thread like the one your talking about justifies someone not joining. That's only one thread and there are hundreds more that is full of good information or just fun stuff. Also, if it gets too bad, the mods will either close the thread or delete the nasty post. They usually don't let it get out of hand too far.
So, stick around. It's all good, really.:D

I agree with this. Usually after a debate gets slightly out of hand, you'll see the same posters who were arguing posting normally in another thread like nothing happened.

As I said in the debate thread in question, some people seem to need to have the last word. No matter who's right or wrong, they won't stop until they have the final say. When this happens, I just move along and let them have it. I don't think most people here like beating their heads against a brick wall. ;)

And yes, this forum is relatively tame compared to most. I used to frequent a popular dog forum and it was chaos. People were suspended and banned left and right. I've yet to see anything that extreme here.

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
I agree with this. Usually after a debate gets slightly out of hand, you'll see the same posters who were arguing posting normally in another thread like nothing happened.

As I said in the debate thread in question, some people seem to need to have the last word. No matter who's right or wrong, they won't stop until they have the final say. When this happens, I just move along and let them have it. I don't think most people here like beating their heads against a brick wall. ;)

And yes, this forum is relatively tame compared to most. I used to frequent a popular dog forum and it was chaos. People were suspended and banned left and right. I've yet to see anything that extreme here.

Hopefully it wont because I plan on sticking around.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
cristal redfoot said:
Tortus said:

Hopefully it wont because I plan on sticking around.

Well, make yourself very comfortable, because you will be around a long time. The great thing really about any disagreements on here, is because everyone is truely sooooooooooooo passionate about their tortoises . That is a really good thing. They all usually get over it and move on. The other great thing. We have really good mods and administrator, Josh, who do work hard to keep this forum the way it is and lets everyone have their say, but without all the mud slinging. So, when we are really old and gray and rocking in our chairs and our tortoises are all grown up, I'll be seeing ya around here:p :D

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
When someone is continuing to debate me when I am done I usually offer to hug it out with them... they stop.. how can you argue with that. :D So when you see it you should offer to group hug it out and maybe everyone will stop... or they could ignore you and you can have a good internal chuckle because you will know they stopped for a moment like "what in the ...??"

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Kerryann said:
When someone is continuing to debate me when I am done I usually offer to hug it out with them... they stop.. how can you argue with that. :D So when you see it you should offer to group hug it out and maybe everyone will stop... or they could ignore you and you can have a good internal chuckle because you will know they stopped for a moment like "what in the ...??"

LMAO, not because that isn't a good idea. Just reminded me of threads I had read back when I first joined. There would be arguing and a little slinging back and forth. I didn't like it, really bothered me in the beginning. I would try to post something off the wall and I thought a little funny. You know, try to break the tension and all. Well, my post got totally ignored and the arguing/debating went on, until they were finished and it usually all ended well. I hope if you throw a hug out there, it's not ignored too:D

Status
Not open for further replies.